Picking, terrain vs other meshes

Rick

I'm curious how other people determine if the terrain was picked vs other meshes. According to http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Raycasting#CameraPick the pick.surface will be null if it's not a mesh (ie. terrain). So I'm going off that, but is there a down side to that? Is this how we should tell if the terrain vs a mesh if being picked by the camera?

Also, the way I had to tell that was by using strcmp() against pick.surface since a simple check against 0 (null) didn't work. It works and I get why it works since TEntity is just a char*, but it does seem strange when you read it in code. Is there another way that looks like it makes more sense? Seems like there should almost be a IsEntityNull() method or something in the engine.

What do you mean? I do wrap my mesh objects with user data of a class instance, but I don't for the terrain. I could check for null but wouldn't this basically mean I have to create a generic class that everything has SetEntityUserData in? Or are you talking a different kind of class?

GetEntityKey(entity,"class") should return "Mesh" or "Model" for a mesh type entity, and "Terrain" for terrain. :)

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

If it isn't class, it would have to be classname as the key. It works, I used it in Jeklynn Heights in C++ for the 3rd person camera collision. It would react differently to terrain and meshes, based on a check against the key.

Not sure if something has changed regarding this between 2.30 and 2.31, so I guess I can say I haven't tried it "yet/now".

Let me test...

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png