First Person Sneaker

ocean

I'm a passionate Thief fan (the originals, not the lacklustre reboot) and I've been thinking about making something similar using the Leadwerks engine. So, I'm wondering what's possible to achieve as it stands today. Mostly how sound is processed. Because that's such an important part of games like this.

Sound propogation, how is that handled out of the box? Can I have different footstep sounds according to what surface the player is on (NPS's too, of course)? Can it easily register how visible the player is to NPCs? What would it take to implement features such as swimable water, climbable ropes, extinguishable light sources etc?

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of programming involved in such a project, but will Lua suffice as I currently only have the Indie edition?

Thank you for your time.

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

For sound you can just do a bounding box check where the size of the box is based on the noise value.

For visible in light you can do csg collision checks. For a game like Thief most of the game you are hidden and only when in the light could it cause an issue. So you can make csg shapes that mimic the light shape, paint it with the invis material and check for the player entering it's collision function.

Different footsteps per surface is possible but you have to code that. Again if you are using csg for the ground (I'd recommend for a game like Thief) then you again can check for collision with the csg and assign each csg which sound to play for the player.

Not sure on swimmable water as it's new but I think some people have done that. Climeable ropes for sure. Distinguishing light sources not sure what you mean and why but sounds doable.

Well, thank you. Then I know these things are possible.

I'd need some coding help in the future for sure.

I meant extinguishable, sorry. Lol.

:)

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

Everything you named is not hard to do. The only problem I see is different footsteps while walking on terrain: you won't be able to check the texture you are standing on. But if you use different objects with different materials instead of terrain (and I think you don't really need terrain because player will be sneaking inside buildings and not in the forest at least most of the time), then there should be no problem to change footsteps.

In my sig there is a wiki page and there is some vision cone code in there. This returns all entities inside this cone and then you can loop over those and do raycasts to see if you can "see" them (as the vision cone itself see's through everything). So this would give a nice effect for AI. I kind of wish something like this was just part of the engine itself really. I think it would add a lot.

• Upvote 2