Performance just dropped

epsilonion

I was working on my level last night and I noticed a slight fps drop, booted up today and I am getting lots of lag.

I have created a small level thats like only 2 small is rooms and a corridor and I am struggling to get over 30 FPS today where as yesterday was above 100 FPS , there are only 16000 polygons so it is not like there are a lot of them any idea's on whats going on?

Any ideas would be great

meetingroom _02.rar

I tested your level and i have a solid 60fps; the only problem is when using switches to open doors, until the door is closed, the frame rate drops lower than 10fps. You seem to have some script or physic problem in your map. I'll dig later if i have more time.

Stop toying and make games

about doors, at physics they need some space around or they have more collisions than u want :)

in combination with polymesh collision its slow.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

Can anyone help with the lag, I have given all doors space around them and its still really slow...

Testing your level, this is juts physics that make lag when a door opens, it lags until the door closes, than the frame rate returns to normal.

Can you upload some part of your new level to test ?

It's the door shadows. Lights + textured glass = slow down. Set them to none.

Nice... But no. This is not a solution. This will make everything looks ugly and unrealistic.

The engine provides dynamic shadows, but we can't use because the engine can't handle it? Sounds like a bad joke.

Its a small scene and the engine can't handle the shadows, something is very unoptimized.

Its a small scene and the engine can't handle the shadows,

Perhaps he is doing something else wrong, i tested it's level and only using physics door made the drop down, otherwise the game runned fast anywhere.

Can anyone help with the lag, I have given all doors space around them and its still really slow...

@liamgibbins:

Can you post your new level if you want some of us to test.

The reason it's slow is the distribution of lights

:post-1-0-61961300-1421173084_thumb.jpg

If you enter debug mode you can see that each time one of those doors moves, it has to re-render 6-10 lights. I set the door's shadow mode to dynamic which helps a little bit, but it's still too much. Each point light requires 6 passes, so you are rendering 36-60 extra passes of the scene due to the way the level is designed.

You can use smaller radius point lights, and add a few "accent" lights that only cast static shadows, since these never move. Make sure any moving object is set to cast "dynamic" shadows.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Nice... But no. This is not a solution. This will make everything looks ugly and unrealistic.

The engine provides dynamic shadows, but we can't use because the engine can't handle it? Sounds like a bad joke.

Its a small scene and the engine can't handle the shadows, something is very unoptimized.

Bad joke is the mentality it's the software's fault first and foremost when clearly this new user stacked so many lights, it's not a feasible design by any stretch of the imagination. It's not his fault, he's probably still learning. Not the engine's fault it's just physics.

But your attitude sucks. Just sayin.

• Upvote 3

Coding for Christ.

Yup i am new to this. and wow I only placed 15 lights on this level it looks like some of them are duplicated.. I have noticed this on some of the walls when I drag a wall out (create A wall) that 2 have been created so I have to delete one of them..

Thought I was doing something wrong so downloaded unity and tried it on there and it only created one wall so I dont know..

Anyhow, its a good job I backed the scene up before adding lights.

I have added the lights again but made sure no duplicates where there, changed the doors from glass to concrete and gave the doors room to move without collision and it run smooth as a babies bottom..

I was wanting to make some higher resolution textures for the walls etc because they look very basic and plain at the moment but I am afraid that this would introduce lag as well.....

biggrin.png

Thank you for your help guy's its a learning curve since I last programmed over 15 years ago and then I was doing applications such as accounting software, so its a big step.. biggrin.png

I have attached the backup file with the lights placed in without the duplicates.

Its a test map that I am using to see how things go with the assets I am creating..

meetingroom.rar

changed the doors from glass to concrete

It's level design you should be able to use glass, if it's available on the engine it's because it is usable.

was wanting to make some higher resolution textures for the walls etc because they look very basic and plain at the moment but I am afraid that this would introduce lag as well.....

High res textures are possible for any game project as it is mip mapping in LE3, this is heavy used in Unreal 4 to keep performance up when you use ultra detailled textures and expensive shaders such as parallax.