Rendering Issue? Maybe problem with model.

wndrboy2k3

Hey, sorry to have to write in the general forum it seems to be the only one I can view. Anyway, I have just purchased lw 2.3 and am importing my first character into the editor. Below is the maya rendered and wireframe version of the character to demonstrate what it should kind of look like.

fnftxw.jpg

This is how it's looking in the Editor.

333wuj5.jpg

Is there something I am doing wrong? I made a few props and they worked just fine.

I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Regards,

David

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over 50, and if its SPEED changed, it would explode! I think it was called..... 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down!'

The editor by default has bloom and HDR turned on have you tried turning them off to see if it makes difference?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

The editor by default has bloom and HDR turned on have you tried turning them off to see if it makes difference?

Yeah, I had everything turned off, even shadows and it still looks really strange. I mean i don't expect a game engine to render like Maya but i've seen other people's work and it does not look this bad.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over 50, and if its SPEED changed, it would explode! I think it was called..... 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down!'

Dont forget to email Josh to get your group changed so you can access the rest of the forum.

Maybe its your material files?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Dont forget to email Josh to get your group changed so you can access the rest of the forum.

Maybe its your material files?

It must be, because when I turn down the lights REALLY low, it looks quite nice. I checked my texture levels and they are normal, Having said that when I turn the lights up the shadows kind of go nuts on the especially the lips.

are you using a specular shader?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

are you using a specular shader?

Right now i'm only using diffuse. I wanted to make sure that would work first. I've been searching for tutorials on this material editor for sometime now, no such luck.

-Add your normal map and specular map to the material. There are lots of examples in the SDK of materials with a bumpmap.

-Disable bloom and HDR.

-Use a darker ambient light color.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The reason for all, is very visible. All of the ambient settings of the Maya(lights, Ambient Lights, textures..) is very diferent of the engine.

How the josh says, you need create a ambient light dark in the engine, as this in Maya. Add a specularmap, to dont burst the lighting in model, and disable the bloom and the Hdr, which the Maya dont have.

if it's just because of bump and specular, so smooth quality in real-time maya/max viewports (not even final render) looks much better than LE's realtime.. or there are other things behind the scene, that I don't know about them?

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

?? i dont see much wrongness - since the make-up seams to be a little misplaced in your render too. In fact i think it looks quit nice for just a diffusemap. If the model does has holes, i would suggest to try only one pointlight and add cullface=0 to your matfile - if this helps with your shadowing issue, close all holes the model might have. Wild guessing ahead. :blink:

PS: Oh, and reweld vertices after triangulation (smoothgroups etc.).

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

?? i dont see much wrongness - since the make-up seams to be a little misplaced in your render too. In fact i think it looks quit nice for just a diffusemap. If the model does has holes, i would suggest to try only one pointlight and add cullface=0 to your matfile - if this helps with your shadowing issue, close all holes the model might have. Wild guessing ahead. :blink:

PS: Oh, and reweld vertices after triangulation (smoothgroups etc.).

The mesh is completely closed. My problem is with the crazy shadows on and around the mouth. When the model moves they go even crazier jumping all over the place. But i did fix it just by rebuilding the mouth geometry. It's pretty much the same I guess just smoother. Strange.

Directional light shadows are designed to light an area of kilometers. You are not going to get high precision shadows on something as small as character facial features, with this scale of lighting. You can decrease the directional light shadow distance to have more detail in a smaller area, but you will lose shadows in the distance. You can also increase the light's shadow map resolution. This problem is common to any real-time engine that uses shadow maps. Here is an example from Crysis:

post-1-12658264668509_thumb.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

ok now josh... did you really think you'd get away with flashing that screenshot past and not offering some sorta explanation as to where it came from (looks like the interior of one of my subs :blink: )... and showing maybe a few more of em... now did you... :D:)

--Mike

Directional light shadows are designed to light an area of kilometers. You are not going to get high precision shadows on something as small as character facial features, with this scale of lighting. You can decrease the directional light shadow distance to have more detail in a smaller area, but you will lose shadows in the distance. You can also increase the light's shadow map resolution. This problem is common to any real-time engine that uses shadow maps. Here is an example from Crysis:

post-1-12658264668509_thumb.jpg

Like i said I didn't think it was a problem with the engine as I have made many other props and they turned out just fine. It just seemed kind of odd that this particular one was so different. I've rebuilt the mouth and seriously the result is 100x better! Now to write an SSS shader.