Terrain/Physics-related crash and other issues?

Hi,

I have been trying out the Terrain feature in Leadwerks 3.3 Indie edition, and it seems to have some problems.

I have an object that I just set up in mid-air with physics set up, and when it drops onto the terrain, the game window just disappears, and I am dumped into the script editor. There is no Debug output, and the Output pane of the script editor just has 'Process Complete' as the last line. I assume this is a leadwerks crash?

I have a 'pick up and carry object' script which uses PhysicsSetPosition() to 'attach' the carried object to the camera - I notice it is possible to 'push' the carried object through the Terrain mesh sometimes - exactly what conditions trigger this to occur I am not certain, but it may have something to do with the below issue...

It seems like after a while just running around on my terrain, that things become choppy, like Physics updates are being run much less frequently than they were previously, and camera and model motion becomes very jerky and unstable - I have only noticed this on a scene with terrain in it, doesnt happen when i use a CSG box as my 'terrain'.. This issue is more difficult to describe exactly, but it seems collision/physics related too, as it seems to happen after my character controller has moved on a slope or other non-flat part of my terrain, however this is more of a vague guess at a correlation than a specific cause.

I am on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 w/Steam Leadwerks, NVidia GTX770). I could do screen recordings to show both these issues if they would be helpful?

a video of what you are doing is helpful, i will watch.

maybe we can isolate & localize the reason.

i believe it will help josh too.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

Hi, Thanks for replying

I have managed to sort most of my issues out - seems updating my 3rd-person camera position/rotation in the UpdatePhysics callback vs UpdateWorld caused a lot of issues, now everything seems smooth. (My project is in the 'Otter Demo' post in the showcase section of the forum)

I am still able to 'push' objects through the terrain, and in some cases the physics mesh doesn't seem to conform nicely to the terrain level.

I have a bad feeling i lost the 'crash' video i made, so I will need to replicate it. I will post it here when I can do that.

In an older build of Leadwerks it was possible to cause a crash when a large object falls on a terrain. However, without a demo it is not possible to evaluate your problem.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.