Local Multiplayer

aarbear13

Hi, I just got this game engine and i've been playing with it a bit. I do not have any previous experience except using hammer editor a few years back. so I'm learning the ropes and using many of the online tutorials.

My question is if it is possible to create a local multiplayer game? like a split screen or even shared screen for 2-4 people. Any help is appreciated! Thank you :)

the blocking of key presses when too many keys are pressed is depending on the keyboard.

some usb keyboards use workarounds for some most used keys in games.

So for not super cheap and bad usb keyboards it should be ok for 2 players who use most used keys like arrow keys and WSAD + some special keys. More people on one keyboard would most likely be too uncomfortable anyway.

I think only some PS2 keyboard types don't suffer from this.

If it's just about doing it on your own computer, the easiest solution may be keyboard / gamepad mapping software. The idea is that you run a software in the background and it can make your program think that when you pressed a gamepad button that a keyboard button was pressed.

That said, I created a gamepad example for the pervious Leadwerks but it works with DirectInput so it will only work with Windows, I believe. If you can't download that, look here for the original code I reused. I think someone else created one for Xbox controllers only too.

• Upvote 1

You can definitely share the keyboard locally (but you can only press a certain number of keys before the keyboard jams up). There is also Steam controller support with commands here:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/steamworks/

That's weird, Xbox controller that is the more used in PC gaming that is not supported while Steam controller that is not popular is implemented in LE3 blink.png

Stop toying and make games