Concept Idea For My Game - LUA or C++ for Coding?

Defranco

Hey guys;

So been learning basic LUA via all the scripts & tutorials provided on youtube, and on this site. And there's a specific thing I'm interested in eventually implementing into my game. I'm curious if its better to arrange for this feature to happen with either LUA, or C++, I have the upgraded standard version, so I believe I can do both.

So what I'm interested in having done is: adding a inventory to a packmule donkey NPC (i have the model already) - then I want to make this donkey eventually obtainable in the game, and I want it to be able to follow/unfollow the player when the player wants it do, and then additionally, I want to setup areas where the packmule can't follow the player, like into buildings, etc.

So I have extreme limited knowledge of coding right now, but I have faith that I'll be eventually able to do the above.

I'm assuming that LUA can handle this; (I'm going to just give a bit of a breakdown of 'how' I think the code would work - mechanical wise)

1)

- Create a inventory for the donkey mule; (same as how tutorial #16 & 17 of of project saturn by Jorn Theunissen was done) except calling it something else so it doesn't mix with the player inventory)

- Then I'll need some sort of function where if the player uses a hotkey (e) on the donkey, and ensure that the donkey is really the donkey, check also if the donkey is in range, then it would need to display a inventory on the player screen

(I'm assuming using a inventory table that the inventory will exist everywhere, but only accessible/shown when the player uses a key on said donkey, and that its in range to be used)

2)

- Create a AIscript for the donkey that is "good team" and will follow - unfollow the player when the player uses a certain hotkey. I assume this script will need to have included the check that player is really the player, and that the player is in range of the donkey.

- Create within the script that the donkey will then unfollow the player automatically when the donkey has collision with certain invisible collision trigger block.

(I assume I will need to make a collision block - invisible - at each area I want to block off the donkey) and use some sort of call or check function to link the donkey AI script together with the collision block.

3)

- Create an enable clause that only allows the donkey to do all this only after the player has completed a certain quest. So I'll need to have this donkey start out disabled, and put in an activation function in another quest script?

-------------

All in all, I am curious if my train of thought is in the right direction. I would like to start experimenting. I think there's enough in a few of the tutorials for me to get at least one of these functions working, or close to.

Let me know what you guys think, if I should be doing it with C++, or LUA.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm planning on using Neosis GUI Engine for the GUI & inventory - so I think part of it needs to be C++ if Im not mistaken?

Get the C++ version and code as much of the logic as you can in LUA then use C++ for the bits that you cannot solve in LUA. ( if you just compile a new C++ project with no changes you bascially create the LUA client )

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k