Water (Plane?)

Calimaw

Sorry for my ignorance, but due to the lack of tutorials on BMax I'm probably going to be making plenty of requests for help until I stop piddling in my diaper.

I have created a simple scene with the SBox editor that came stock with SDK 2.0, and I'm wondering how to generate the environment light, and the water plane object, of which were both placed with the SBox editor.

Yes, that's true, and it was done on purpose. After LE 2.23 the demo content was removed almost completely, since Josh wanted to focus on the engine updates itself. So LE 2.28 is mostly just the raw engine, but that's not bad since you can use the demo content from LE 2.23 also. The idea was that you don't have to download over a hundred megs each time.

In LE 2.3 there is a lot of new demo content again, plus there are incredibly much free assets in the community downloads too.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Alright, I mean it makes perfect sense that youd want as clean of an install as possible.

What would be my best option to getting the content and examples? Do I simple download each executable in the SDK directory of the repository and install them one at a time up to 2.28?

You only need LE 2.23 for the demo content (or LE 2.3 respectively).

You can then use the LE 2.28 engine with that content, although you need to recreate physics bodies, since the newton format changed.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Okay, so I did a clean install of 2.23, then updated to 2.28, and stuff broke. Sandbox was throwing an error about loading Arial<number>.dds, I cant recall which. Which caused it to silently crash (checked the logs to find out why), and apparently it was one of the materials in the effects folder. Regardless, stuff seems wrong. When I was using 2.0 the waterplane entity would show an actual water plane, this version shows some hexagonal shape that is no where near the same, and theres two objects that would look like they should be the env_waterplane, neither of which is actually given the prefix of env_, nor found in the env_ tree.

I find this to be extremely irritating. Must I seriously spend $50 to upgrade to 2.3 in order to get rid of all of these problems; problems that shouldn't even be occurring, since I did pay for a working engine which broke itself during up dates and in the process lost content and usability? I planned to do it at some point, but I feel like this was almost done on purpose...

Let me know if my irritation is ill-gotten, and if there is something I should be aware of.

i would say 2.23 to 2.28 you dont update but to do clean install

2.3 is a clean install, then yes it update when stuff is fixed or changed but i would say you should make a back up

as changes could break you code ( but a lot of the time it does not)

with a back up you can roll back and still be working.

i have to say i not had any problem with 2.3 so am happy with it

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

What are you trying to do? get assets from previous versions?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Yes Marleys Ghost, I'm wanting to use content and examples from previous versions, the problem is if I do a "clean install" with 2.28 after installing 2.23 then it removes all files in the SDK, it even states so. Regardless of some functions being broken with 2.23 code due to changes to 2.28 I'd still like to be able to use the assets, and fix those examples.

The real issue is the lack of content in 2.28 and lack of examples. I don't have a way to learn and see stuff function.

As I said earlier I do plan on updating to 2.3 when I need its features, but I dont see the need to purchase features I dont use until I require them.

I'm sure if I knew more I'd be able to render a solution, but that's the problem, I'm not able to get results, so I'm unable to know what is correct and what is not.

I'm not a well versed game programmer, the stuff I've done is more in the realm of hacking and data manipulation (think memory layer aimbot; no, I dont release them publicly, its for learning/challenge).

I guess I'll have to spend the $50, which Im sure is worth it, and $50 isn't much, I just don't like paying for something more than once when it should have been honored the first time around.

the problem is if I do a "clean install" with 2.28 after installing 2.23 then it removes all files in the SDK, it even states so.

thats what a "clean" install does :) just install the different versions to other SDK directories... like SDK 2.28 goes into a LESDK2.28 folder, 2.23 goes into a LESDK2.23 folder, etc...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

:) just move the files you want to another directory for storage BEFORE doing a clean install.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"