Remove surface from model

Brutile

I've been having all sorts of problems with procedurally generated mesh not being updated. I found the cause, but don't know how to fix it.

Basically, I want to update a model and replace the existing surface with a new one, but there is no remove surface command. I've tried Surface->Clear() and I've tried Surface->Release() then created a new surface, but it doesn't get rid of the surface, I'm still left with the surface I can't remove.

I could just make a whole new model, but it seems logical to be able to remove a surface and create a new one in its place.

Could you please share the code you use to create the new surface and add it to the model? There are some possibilities I can think of for the cause of your problem but without seeing this section of the source I would just be speaking without any real direction. I have been working with models and custom surfaces and may be able to help.

void Build() {

if (model == NULL) {

model = Model::Create();

model->Move(xPosition, 0, zPosition);

surface = model->AddSurface();

surface->SetMaterial(material);

} else {

surface->Clear();

}

CreateSurface(); // adds verts and tris to the surface

model->UpdateAABB(Entity::LocalAABB | Entity::GlobalAABB | Entity::RecursiveAABB);

}

That's the basic logic of it. The model starts off NULL, then it is created. Then when it is rebuilt, it should clear the surface, then start adding verts and tris to it.

As you're using c++ you should have access to the lower members of the model. There should be a vector (or smth. like that) containing the surfaces. In theory you should remove them from there and then a call of model->Update should do the rest. I can't tell you the correct member in the model class, as i have no access to the headers at work, but i would suggest to look into the headers yourself. I found a lot of knowledge about the engine-internals just by studying the headers.

• Upvote 1
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

The only thing keeping that surface in memory is a reference count and a link in the model surface list. Since the surface has no knowledge of models it's attached to, it should be safe to call model->surfaces.remove(surface) and then surface->Release(). Just don't do it in a rendering callback

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/statuses/id/6741/

• Upvote 1

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Keep in mind this is not the way it's supposed to work, and it is possible a hack like this could stop working in the future.

Models can't remove surfaces. It's just not supported. You can clear a surface and start adding geometry back into it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.