Models 3D Tiles normals for LE3

YouGroove

@shadmar. I used Smoothing Groups on export from 3D - Coat with a 45 smoothing angle. When I brought the model into LE3 and then calculated normals at an angular threshold of 45 it worked great for me. What would happen if I didn't export using smoothing groups from 3D - Coat?

I'll post a blog on this when I am home from work biggrin.png

It was from Blender, i just clicked on simple recalculate under LE3 model editor, it works great for closed objects without holes.

But for more complex models, specially with holes it can be problematic, and LE3 model editor recalculate tool won't help a lot.

I put Blender file, exported FBX and MDL if someoen want to test.

post-3271-0-23228400-1398089422.jpg

corridor.zip

post-3271-0-12573700-1398089570_thumb.jpg

Stop toying and make games

For a model with holes you may need to export with smoothing groups. I know in 3D - Coat when you export you can choose the smoothing angle. Then when you bring the model into LE3 and calculate normals you can choose the angular threshold method and put that to whatever angle your smoothing angle was when you exported from 3D - Coat.

I would try this for you but I am stuck at work today. Try bringing that model into 3D - Coat and export it as FBX in the export options you'll notice a option called 'Smoothing Angle' I think it's called that. Put in something between 30 and 45 then bring it into LE3 and calculate normals choosing the angular threshold and your done biggrin.png

I done another test, LE3 calculate normals from model editor will work if your model don't have holes, otherwise you will have non desired normals for faces.

As the example below, i used LE3 recalculate with 10° on treshold angle with now a fully closed model wihtout holes, it works, but you won't have no more smoothing groups in some parts, like the tubes pipes that i wanted to keep smoothed.

So, make smoothing groups and not smoothing in Blender before export for some particular cases as below

post-3271-0-38790600-1398090558.jpg

If you go to face mode on the editor and choose your faces you want smoothed in the Objects tab you'll get the smoothing groups option. You can try add smoothing groups on the faces of your models and see if that helps. I haven't tried this yet but I've been using the angular threshold method to calculate normals and it's worked great for me.

I found some tuts, i have to dig more in Blender side.

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/sword-mesh-smoothing.php

http://ruzzy2006.deviantart.com/art/Blender-Smoothing-groups-tut-46039478

One solution oculd be in LE3 editor ability to calculate normal with toll per material, i mean by group of faces that have same material , by selecting material in LE3 model editor.

post-3271-0-97871400-1398095750_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I found a workaround for 3D tiles to combine hard edges no light seams and keeping smoothed models

In fact make two objects for your 3D Tile :

- 3D Tile (Floor, corridor etc ... ) with hard edges

- decoration Assets of the 3D tile that should be smoothed (pipes, plants , rocks etc .. )

Align them in editor and make smoothed model part as child of connecting 3D Tile

This way you will duplicate and snap 3D tiles in LE3 without light seams problem, with ability to have decoration models in the 3D Tiles that will stay smoothed

post-3271-0-63026100-1398158958_thumb.jpg

post-3271-0-23607000-1398158964_thumb.jpg

I found a workaround for 3D tiles to combine hard edges no light seams and keeping smoothed models

In fact make two objects for your 3D Tile :

- 3D Tile (Floor, corridor etc ... ) with hard edges

- decoration Assets of the 3D tile that should be smoothed (pipes, plants , rocks etc .. )

Align them in editor and make smoothed model part as child of connecting 3D Tile

This way you will duplicate and snap 3D tiles in LE3 without light seams problem, with ability to have decoration models in the 3D Tiles that will stay smoothed

Is this two separate models connected to each other? If so how did you get rid of the seams? I can't understand the method your explaining above sad.png

Would really love to know how you've done this though as the level me and my team are making for our game uses a lot of modular pieces and I have found some seams in my map that I can't get rid of (no matter how perfect I align the models together)

You can connect in LE3 without seams problems if you recalculate normals with LE3 tool to 10°.

The only problem you will loose all your smoothed faces, so good only for hard surface Flat faces.

Above its LE3 BSP cylinders, they work. But how they are done ?