Terrain Texture Blending?

Roland

Finally got some time for running the Leadwerks 3.1 indie version. Made a terrain and started painting some textures and found that I could not blend between textures. Is this really not supported or have I missed something. Right now it looks really bad with those sharp edges between different textures as shown here. Surely I must have missed something here.

post-395-0-39175400-1393405174.png

AV MX Linux

Actually, I think this is looking much better and more realistic than the typical texture blending using alpha values. I mean, for ground structures such as this you have small height differences that determine which material is on top: The sand will fill the lower parts of the rocks and be completely absent at the top, and not gradually shine through the rock texture. For example, there is a very popular terrain add-on for the "he-who-must-not.be-named" engine that specifically uses heightmaps for terrain textures to achieve this effect.

EDIT: By the way, now "mrstralberg", Sir? Being more formal these days ;-) ?

EDIT2: There was a post where Josh discussed this http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7196-terrain-texture-with-blend-pattern-in-alpha/page__hl__alpha

• Upvote 1

I see you point Rastar and that's quite true, but I have almost never seen such sharp borders between lets say Sand and Rockbeds in reality. As I know you know the terrain stuff quite well I take your answer as "No - Blending is not possible". I guess then that it can be solved by adding a third texture with sand and rocks together and use as border, although this might look better considering what you correctly states, the blending tech will generate almost the same thing with less resources and effort. It would have been nice to have the choice which method to use.

It would be nice to see a blending feature in some coming update ( Josh, please .. smile.png

AV MX Linux

I actually haven't looked too deeply at the Leadwerks terrain system, but this is "just a bit of shader magic". Quickly scanning the terrain texture shader, it seems there are certain thresholds for the texture blending, resulting in those hard edges. So tweaking the shader might give what you want. You could also try and play with the "transition" slider on the material layer page, maybe this improves things towards your goal.

I like that blend pattern usage. Has this been implemented in LE 3.1? I should modify the terrain shaders to do that for our project before we release. It looks much better. When in doubt, check your alpha channels.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Hahaha Rastar. No I'm not at all formal in anyway, just only me as usual.

Thought I could use that tagname as thats what I have in all other places

including my blog and so on. My original intention was to have just 'stralberg'

or 'rstralberg' for such places. But then my son's wanted 'stralberg' and 'rstralberg'

so i did run out of fantasy and just added that 'm' a start. But don't worry smile.png

You wont have to call me 'Sir' not now and not ever biggrin.png

AV MX Linux