I need a cool and origional character concept...

Sooshi

I was sketching a pic of the little guy named 9 from the movie also by the same name, and I came up with a new concept that I want to focus on for my game when I start creating it. Well I was noticing that in the world of 9 and many other themes that seem to be created these days, that the setting has a post apocalyptic theme to it, and I absouletely love this theme. I mean I played Fallout 3 to death and did almost every quest. I want to create a platform/treasure hunter type game that has the character going around looking for pre-war artifacts before the bombs fell and I was thinking that this theme would be perfect. Most platform games dont even capatalize on this theme at all.

I was thinking of creating my own character to traverse around in this world. But I dont want to copy the puppet idea directly, even though its an amazing and origional idea, I need help on deciding my own character for a post apocalyptic universe, anyone got some ideas? No Super Mutants btw...

9-2-1.jpg?t=1263850363

Working on a major RPG project.......will showcase soon.

www.kevintillman1.wix.com/tillmansart

Let's brainstorm!

serious vs humorous

the bomb dropped last week vs the bomb dropped 2 years ago

male vs female

badass vs normal vs clumsy vs arrogant vs angry

family oriented vs loner

I feel once you start to shape the personality of a character they start to come alive inside you. You start to get a picture for what they would look like.

Let's brainstorm!

serious vs humorous

the bomb dropped last week vs the bomb dropped 2 years ago

male vs female

badass vs normal vs clumsy vs arrogant vs angry

family oriented vs loner

I feel once you start to shape the personality of a character they start to come alive inside you. You start to get a picture for what they would look like.

Rick, you do have a point, this is something that I have been practicing in order to become better at character design, I used to struggle with design lol, all my characters would look the same, I have just recently began to understand what it takes to create good character archetypes.

Well since the game will be a platformer, the art style will be somewhat cartoony, simliar to WallE world.

The bombs fell 26 years ago, and our character is 17, and has grown up in a small steampunk style type of town. Where androids were built to help rebuild the earth. There are androids and humans in the game. And I want the character to be a human who goes out and searches the land for all kinds of lost treasure from old technology.

He is a normal type character who has a fun personality and who is goofy sometimes, like me lol. he goes out and brings back stuff he finds for the towns blacksmith to make things out of.

My favorite games growing up were games like Zelda, IcO, Beyond Good and Evil etc. Im not really into the whole 1st person shooter uprise thats been going on since the origional xbox came out. I actually hate FPS games, im more of an RPG guy. Fallout 3 is an exception.

Does this mean I get your other character model :)

Lol yea I think I will be creating an all new origional character. I want the art style simliar to UP mixed with WallE from pixar, cartoony and fun to look at. But plays like an RPG platformer.

- Loose leather clothing, partially self-improved for your needs, brown or black in color maybe. Leather gloves with fingers visible is a must to have cliché!

- A leg or arm could be mechanically improved and/or stabilized since the original limb was injured (it's a dangerous world out there with all the rubble and sharp edges)

- Some tools hanging from the clothes. You never know when you find some mechanical debris to harvest, or need to repair something

- A knife is good to have in the leather boots

- Somekind of powerful enough gun to protect yourself from wild animals, but why not also from raiders and plunderers

- Maybe a pet walking with you can be helpful, as you don't want to be dependable on some friends all the time when you go somewhere, and going alone is taking unnecessary risks

In short:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/AdvHTML_Upload/mad-max-2.jpg

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Lumooja and Aggror, thanks for your inputs guys. I like the idea of the mechanically improved arm and the knife on the boot. The knife could be used for all kinds of gameplay mechanics.

I like the way the character is dressed in your Oddworld concept Aggror, I drew a character a couple of years ago similiar to that guy called the desert dweller, he has a backpack that he wears to store stuff that he steals from wanderers and travelers crossing the desert, as well as thick lens goggles to block the sun rays coming into his eyes..

DesertDweller.jpg?t=1263857834

The 17yr old guy will have an art syle more towards the little kid from pixars up, but I will definetely take these ideas into account.

Thanks for your help guys..

Are you going for creepy? Most of your art has a creepy dark side to it from what I noticed. The character you describe that you want doesn't seem to be creepy at all though.

I love your art btw. You are very talented. God I wish I could draw :)

Are you going for creepy? Most of your art has a creepy dark side to it from what I noticed. The character you describe that you want doesn't seem to be creepy at all though.

I love your art btw. You are very talented. God I wish I could draw :)

Im a creepy person.. :)

Lol but nah im actually not going for the creepy look, its also another design flaw I have, im trying to be as creative as possible in every aspect of art..

Thanks btw, it just takes practice, like anything else...

Its certainly some very impressive artwork Kevin.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Its certainly some very impressive artwork Kevin.

Hey thanks Marleys Ghost, I wish I knew everything I needed to know to throw my concept in game, but I got some more studying to do, the entity class scripts for lua is something totally new to me :P

Hey thanks Marleys Ghost, I wish I knew everything I needed to know to throw my concept in game, but I got some more studying to do, the entity class scripts for lua is something totally new to me :P

All new to me too .. I just do what I always do "whats this do .. eeeek ok .. what about that ... oh dear ... AHA"..

Its a simple technique but gets me there in the end :P:)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

All new to me too .. I just do what I always do "whats this do .. eeeek ok .. what about that ... oh dear ... AHA"..

Its a simple technique but gets me there in the end :P:)

yea I am going to have to do trial and error until I can get my hands on some docs for this stuff, its just that trial and error is very unpredictable, no telling how long it will take me to find the solutions to problems...

its just that trial and error is very unpredictable, no telling how long it will take me to find the solutions to problems...

Thats the fun part :P or maybe thats just me ... but I find the more I have to "experiment" the more I actually learn.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

looks very cool,how long ar you doing your own art work?

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

it wont be very long, I actually have a few design documents already typed out and explained for the characters and worlds. Im just having trouble deciding on which one I want to create first lol.

Here are a couple of character bios that I have written down for a game concept called "Between Light and Darkness" I absouletely loved Okami for ps2 and I want to create an adventure game similiar to the art style from okami. I want the characters to be in high contrast to the 3d environments. Cell shaded material glowing characters with realisitc environments and textures. Similiar to ICO for ps2

LeoBio.jpg?t=1264233576

KingGustavbio.jpg?t=1264233609

The posted art looks nice. Good Job!

Thank you Annika

I would like to see some more female characters that actually look like females. I see a lot of elves and faeries in games, they are good quality, but I think it would be nice to have a character that looks like a real woman. In Portal, there are parts where you get to see your own character and she's an average looking female. She still looks like an athlete, she just doesn't have over-the-top proportions. Yes, I'm a chick, so I guess my opinion is fitting.

yes Annika you are so right, like this chick from Half Life 2..

chick.jpg?t=1265155809

• 4 weeks later...