Frameworks/Framewerks

Guest heyjeebus

Guest heyjeebus

I took a look at the post processing tutorials and some effects seemed rather complicated to implement, so I discovered about the frameworks in the wiki.

I'm a c++ user, however all the examples were in Lua so I'm confused, do the frameworks code work with C++?

If so, is there any example I could take a look at to see how it all works ?

Also, I can use the frameworks commands the way I use the engine's other commands(as in,is the frameworks code built in the engine) or do I have to use include files or do something else ?

Sorry for all these questions, but I want to be absolutely sure about what I'm going to expect when I get the full version of the engine to avoid spending 200$ for something I'm not going to use.

If you look at the wiki you will see that it gives the commands for not only lua but other languages as well. Currently the framework commands are built in the dll. But these are not available for your use with the evaluation example.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Guest heyjeebus

mmh so creating a framework would be something like this ?

TFramework framework=CreateFramework();

and then using it to enable bloom for example would be:

framework.SetBloom(1);

I wish we could code with the evaluation version,even if it had a 10 minutes timer or something, I really wish I could trying the code myself instead of asking "would this work ?"

these seem to be very specific hypothetical questions you are asking when all you have is supposedly the evaluation... hmmm.

Trust me when I tell you that framework works just fine, most people here use it. If you were a registered SDK user, you would see several examples of it in the private forums.

macklebee's channel

Guest heyjeebus

hum...what's that supposed to mean ?

If I had the full version I would be trying that piece of code myself instead of losing my time asking if it would work no ?

I just want to make sure I'll be able to do so something with the engine, better asking this sort of question now than later when I spent my hard earned money on something I don't know how I'll use it. Almost like buying a bazooka and not knowing how it works.

The demos look nice and all, but if I'm not able to do something like that I'd rather stick with Irrlicht or any other open source solution.

I'm not that much of an expert in programming, so knowing most people here use it doesn't reassure me that much.

so knowing most people here use it doesn't reassure me that much.

and you cant code with the evaluation anyways, so I don't know how us giving you specific lines of code will help alleviate your concern on whether or not framework works... hence my questioning tone...

macklebee's channel

Please pardon his skepticism. We get a lot of people in here asking for help when they're using a pirated version of the engine. Once you're actually a licensee you'll find that people are generally a lot more helpful. The code you posted should work just fine (or something very similar). The engine is actually quite easy to work with (a lot more so than Irrlicht or Ogre3D, although both are decent engines). I don't know how much $200 makes an impact on your life, but if it's not a major investment for you I'd say buy the engine, it's pretty nice to work with. I own Unity Pro, and have worked with the UDK, Ogre3D, CrystalSpace, Panda3D as well as many others and I find myself having the most fun with LeadWerks. It has it's problems like all engines do, but the community really tends to pull together and come up with solutions.

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

Guest heyjeebus

Oh I get it now, now at least I know where he's coming from.

Don't get me wrong but throwing random accusations in the air doesn't do much except make it look like the whole community is in a witch hunt, and honestly it almost made me look elsewhere.

But just to clarify (once again):

If I know exactly how it works, then I can't go wrong, I could feel reassured I could work with the framework code, and do post processing stuff for example.

Knowing it's "easy" just isn't enough for me, the best way for me to evaluate the ease of use of an engine is to look at actual code. The wiki has some specific C++ samples but in this case I wanted to know how the framework worked exactly, Lua examples are useless for me since I never worked or learned Lua.

And I didn't ask for specific line codes, I just asked if it worked the way I showed, and a "yes" or "no" would have been enough.

Also, I know 200$ doesn't look much, but I have a rent to pay, a family to feed and I have to pay for my kid's school expenses, I have a fixed family budget and 200$ would mean a good share of my personal savings which could be spent in more urgent matters, but my geeky side is calling me again so I felt like I should find an engine to start making games again.

Using procedural C++ API, it would look like this:

TFramework fw=CreateFramework();
SetBloom(1);

Using OOP C++ API it would look like his:

Framework fw;
fw.Create();
fw.renderer.SetBloom(true);

It will be also possible to do it like this in the OOP C++ API, but it's not implemented yet for the Framework class (for other classes it works):

Framework fw(CREATENOW);
fw.renderer.SetBloom(true);

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Not to point out the obvious again... but you cannot code with the evaluation. So me telling you that what you posted will work or not is the same as me telling you that framework works just fine because several people are using it. Either way you have no way of knowing it actually works until you actually are a licensed user... or a pirated user.

It does work and it works very well and once you get the SDK and get registered on the forum, you will see plenty of examples of it in the private forums. And if you have any problems, everyone here usually jumps right in and helps out.

macklebee's channel

Yup, that's why I said if $200 isn't a major investment. If it is a hardship, then I'd say play around with Unity or the UDK for a while, as they're both free and excellent engines in their own right. Then if you decide you really would like better dynamic lighting or some other feature that LeadWerks has then you can buy the engine and port stuff over. The time consuming part is usually AI code and asset creation, both of which can be ported over fairly quickly from any other engine.

ZBrush - Blender

Guest heyjeebus

macklebee: Just read my previous posts, you either don't understand them or you're pretending not to. I know I can't code with the evaluation version, but that's besides the point. I just want to know how it works so that I know I'll be able to use that particular feature once I have the full SDKLike I previously said I'm no expert, just because a lot of people here use it, doesn't mean I'll be able to. I'm not that young anymore and I don't have that much free time so learning new stuff isn't as easy as it used to be.

And I don't have to be able to code to know if the code works or not, that's why I asked. If someone says it works I assume it does, but oh well, I've repeated myself way too many times now. If you really want to believe I have a pirated version of the engine then great for you, pretend you caught a pirate. I'm just glad not everyone here is like you or I wouldn't be insisting on this engine.

Niosop: I already tried both, Unity looks great but it uses javascript which I'm not familiar with and learning a new language is not in my horizons. I havent spent a lot of time with UDK but from the looks of it, it looks a bit too complex for me and also uses a scripting language. Leadwerks sounds perfect for me because the commands look very simple and are very similar to blitz basic which I used back then. And since I can also use it with C++ the adaptation wouldn't be hard for me.

Yeah, the UDK is hard to get into because of UnrealScript. Unity can use any .NET language (C#, Boo, etc) or their JavaScript like language. But if you can afford the $200 and it won't cause your family to freeze or starve, then LeadWerks is really worth it. There have been a lot of changes recently and people are really jumping into creating "thingoids", which are premade objects that you can drag/drop into the editor to do different things. Things like playing a video on a texture, or getting an instant 3rd person or 1st person camera and controls. Then there's gamelib which is a higher level wrapper on top of LeadWerks that does a lot of game related functions for you. Or, if you prefer, you can do everything in C++ (but I'd recommend using Lua for per entity type stuff, it saves a bunch of time and makes things much more reusable).

ZBrush - Blender

Guest heyjeebus

Well from what I can see, Leadwerks couldn't be much easier to use so that's not a issue, and being a Blitz3D graduate so to say, the whole commands set feels very familiar. But well, I think I made up my mind, I'll probably buy the SDK some time soon. :unsure:

So far further updates have been free, the only charge was for the Upgrade from 2.2x to 2.3 but it was not alot.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"