How to send output to input?

CustomZ02

Still trying to understand how lua works. Im trying to create a script for an object to add health to the player. I created a USE that if enabled it would play a sound, but I also want it to output health to the receive health on the player script.

function Script:Use()
if self.enabled then
if self.sound then
self.entity:EmitSound(self.sound)
end
self.component:CallOutputs("Use")
end
end

Im assuming I want it inside the use function to then send to ReceiveHealth() im confused as to how that is done.

--Increase health
function Script:ReceiveHealth(healthPoints)--in
--Increase health
health = health + healthPoints;

--Health can not be more then maximum health
if health > maxHealth then
health = maxHealth
end

--Call Health received output
self.component:CallOutputs("HealthReceived")
end

Inputs and outputs are used in the flowgraph. Open the flowgraph editor from the menu (Tools I think) and drag in any entity from your Scene tab that has a script attached and has input/output and they'll show up with little squares next to them. Click and hold these and drag outputs to inputs.

Yeah I got that part here:

flo.PNG

What Im trying to figure out is how to tell the fpsplayer script how many healthpoints to receive from the healthpack. Cause I see the script in FPSPlayer is calculating health + healthpoints; but dont see how I send that value of healthpoints to FPSPlayer from the healthpack.

As you can tell im a bit confused, I tried to look up some other scripts to see how this would work but I couldnt find anything. Do I need to create a different output in my healthpack script named healthpoints?

So we can pass parameters to inputs, and how we get those values are from get type functions. Let me see if I can remember how to do this.

Define a get type function in the script that holds the value you want like so:

function Script:GetHealth()--arg
end

Then define your input function to accept parameter(s) like:

function Script:UpdateHealth(health)--in
end

Then when you drag these into the flowgraph, the line should have a dot on it (1 dot for each input parameter). You should also see your get function now. Drag a line from the get to this dot. This means when your input is called, it'll also call the function(s) attached to each parameter to assign their value.