Is Lua strong enough?

eddi713

Good Morning,

I've bought Leadwerks Indie Edition. But it's the edition without c++ and I wondered if lua is suitable to make 3d games because everywhere stands that games with lua often crash.

Is this true?

Kind regards

Eddie 713

This is most certainly not true, If games do crash its do to a lack of programming on the developers side. Lua is one of the most stable scripting languages,in addition to that its the fastest scripting language, so if your going to make a 3d game lua is a good choice compared to other scripting languages.

Hi edi713.

I have to admit that i do not know either LUA nor C++ very good but from what i already know both languages have their benefits.

LUA is kinda easy to learn and use, while C++ is more hard to master. C++ is nearer to the PC hardware ingeneral, but it's, at least from what i was told, about 3 times faster than most other programming languages.

but basically i believe that you can achieve most goals in both languages. The way you achieve that goal might be quite different, but i guess most everything is possible in both ways.

From what i heard, you can learn LUA in about 3 Days, in addition to that time you have to learn each distinct API (in this case the LUA API) while you need several weeks / month to learn (and understand) C++. I for myself though decided to learn C++ in advance and start using that language, but i already knew a bit C++ before so it's not that hard for me to learn the basics again.

tl:dr:

C++ is more complicated, yes, lua on the other hand is quite simple to understand, yet still quite powerfull.

If you look at the example code in the command reference you can see that the c+= commands are not too different to the lua commands its just the syntax style that differs.But theres more to it than that, code placement is harder to learn in c++.At least that's been my experience.

luua is plenty good enough to make all kins of games.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++