Just bought Indie version off Steam, and have no idea how to start.

Bruffers2337

Hi

I have just bought this from Steam and I have no idea how to start.

I feel dumb for asking this but how do you make it so you can move round the map? I have looked at tutorials on Youtube and none have led me to something that would work for me, the closest I got was that when I would press WASD, it made footstep sounds, but the camera didn't move.

I realise that this is the pure basics but I am really stuck, I already have ideas for games but so far it isn't looking good!

P.S. When starting a new project, I have no option for C++, only LUA. I know a bit of C++, but no LUA.

P.P.S This was one of the tutorials I have been trying to follow.

http://www.indiedb.com/engines/leadwerks-engine/videos/tutorial-fps-character-controller-in-leadwerks

Here is a tutorial for player movement:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/adding-an-fps-controller-r52

There is an included map that goes along with it.

The Indie Edition on Steam only supports Lua programming, as described on the store page. An upgrade to the standard edition, which includes C++ programming, will likely be available on Steam when it is ready.

1. Open Leadwerks in steam

2. Go to file > Project Manager

3. Make sure MyGame is selected and push ok

4. Now go to File > Open

5. You should see map files label 01-08

6. When you open them it should have a popup asking to open the tutorial

Now you can play with the level that you see in the tutorial

I find it better to have hands on while watching

Thank you! That worked.

Question is now, how do I apply it to a brand new project? Do I need to use MyGame as a basis each time? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just new to this kind of programming (Web Developer by trade).

I prefer to follow whilst watching as well, I guess I just missed that I had tutorials already!

Here is a tutorial for player movement:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/adding-an-fps-controller-r52

There is an included map that goes along with it.

Where is the included map?

Where are any of the example projects? I could learn more easily by example than by trying to follow vague videos that don't explain every little thing. Should I have all these examples with my Steam install?

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

Well, I actually was able to locate the maps before I had a chance to get back to this message. Unfortunately, when you load some of them, they tend to be missing models, or big chunks of the example. For instance, in the map 03-Doors.map, this is what you see time you load it. (The doors aren't there.) Notice in the bottom it says "Failed to load model "C:/Users/Gravity/Documents/Leadwerks/Projects/MyFirstGame/models/doors/gatevertical_frame.mdl".

Am I missing pieces?

tumblr_mz7suhK3sA1qk5t55o1_1280.jpg

UPDATE: I was able to copy the contents of the main models, materials and sounds out of the folder in Program Files and into my game assets under My Documents. When I closed and reopened the doors tutorial map, it was all there.

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.