Shadow mapping models Alpha?

Andy Gilbert

IS there any chance shadow mapping can shadow objects taking into acount the alpha texture?

For instance, we now have terrain, to put any veg or tree's inside then render shadow, the shadows are horrible as they use the goemetry of the planes (so buig square shadows) not the alpha of the leaves ETC.

Thanks

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

Ok, will try it. Is there any included models then? As i cant find any in the DarknessAwaitas project?

Im getting the feeling your assuming im talking about leadwerks 2?

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Sorry i meant lightmapping then rolleyes.gif I just to make an outdoor scene look good, but qas soon as you calculate lighting with any tree's or veg the shadows are all squared like explained above.

Andy

It doesnt have to be projected shadows, the plants and trees dont have to move, so instead of using projected shadows they can cast static shadows, but using the alpha? Can this not be done either?

Andy

Sure, I could do it, but it's always a matter of tradeoffs. I think my time is best spent on the OpenGL 4 renderer right now rather than making adjustments to the fallback renderer.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hmm - building games was mostly always about the art of faking :D ... in le2 I would use "shadow-decals". Like render shadows from the tree and place these as decals to its roots taking light direction into account. This tech has been used in many ways AFAIK.

That being stayed - does le3 support "light styles". You know switching between two light maps?

Pulse, flicker, wave etc. for indoor lightning strikes and such alike.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

Ok, understandable. Am i right in thinking the openGL 4 wont work on ios? Just thought this would be nice for IOS outdoor games.

Andy

OpenGL 4 is PC-only.

At the moment, Leadwerks is still making the most sales in PC. However, mobile users have been increasing lately. It might be that it just takes more time to break into that market.

I'd really like to make the December deadline, so that means staying focused on the essentials. We can always add enhancements down the road.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.