Lua priority again

YouGroove

I think Lua is something to priorize again , more high level stuff again.

That's even asked on forums by other people.

Lua :

A come back as it can be considered as

-make your game fast, re use libraries and people code

-No compiling or visual Studio needed (unless LE3 resolve it's big problem of needing to compile each time projects specially after some update

- Powerfull enought ( even C++ can't save anything with a bad performance on physic library)

- Fast to learn

It would just need some auto completition tool, but that don't exist for LE3 functions.

Perhaps a future kickstarter campaign ?

Hight level Flowgrahps have also lot of possibilties and potential.

It needs severe bug corrections and some new features (box/unbox flowgraph parts , possibility to create them visually ,i mean create he new Lua code, from a Lua script that don't have any Flowgraph specific stuff)

Stop toying and make games

Are you asking for a way to make a game without having to program?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

-make your game fast, re use libraries and people code

Yeah, because C++ doesn't have like 100 million+ free libraries available to reuse...

- Fast to learn

So is C++... Both languages are just methods of writing a very long sequence of events that you want the computer to perform. One uses lots of meaningful symbols to reduce how much you have to write, and the other prefers a more "verbal" style of writing that long list...

The symbols are quick to learn, like when you learn numeracy at school, it's very quick to learn what the + sign means. Before long you know that 123+456 means 579. The symbols in C++ are the same, once you've seen them a few times, you know what they mean and how they work...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

I don't feel like Josh has given a priority to one or the other recently. Being that the engine is written in C++ it's natural that things will be missed/delayed when exposing to Lua just by pure accident on his part.

@YouGroove There are more libraries (outside of LE) for C++ than Lua. There is more code for Lua inside LE than C++ (since it's easier to plug and play Lua code in LE), so not sure if that's what you meant?

Autocompletion would be a slick feature if Josh could implement it.

I agree with the flowgraphs. I hope Josh gets the logical entities in soon like he was talking about as it helps not litter the scene with pivots when using flowgraphs, but we can do a lot with how it's setup now. It's not perfect but rarely anything is :)

It really is amazing how easy it is to setup scene functionality with reusable flowgraph scripts. Love it!

• Upvote 1