Terrain design

Josh

I am considering moving terrain back to work the way it did in Leadwerks, where it was always centered around the origin and did not respond to rotation or positioning. This would simplify vegetation system quite a lot because I can handle all coordinates in world space. Otherwise, you have to do a lot of transformations and it is hard to get things to line up correctly. I think it also makes a better experience in the editor. Movable terrains can be prone to accidental movements, and having them selectable degrades the performance because the outline effect is quite expensive since it requires rendering the object twice.

• Sad 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah, but that will require an entirely separate terrain system, and it's not something important to worry about right now.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Doing that would require two things.

With really big worlds, you need a terrain system that recursively subdivides, because normal terrain LOD isn't big enough. With a normal terrain LOD system where the terrain is divided into patches, eventually you can zoom out so far that each patch is just one pixel big. So you need a different way of handling that.

You also need a way to warp the terrain to a sphere, and have it affect physics, raycasting, culling, as well as the rendering.

I plan on doing stuff like this in the future, but not with our standard terrain system.

This change would allow us to get vegetation working sooner, with fewer bugs and ongoing problems.