Clothing System

I'm considering a clothing system in Ultra and how I could implement it. Essentially, there are two approaches. One is to simply split the mesh into four parts (head, body, legs, and feet) and create different meshes with clothes for each part. The second, and in my opinion better, approach is to handle the clothes separately from the player model itself. This means having a blank model for your player and attaching the clothes to it. However, I'm not sure if this is possible. Additionally, I'm uncertain about how to do this.

16 minutes ago, Andy90 said:

The second, and in my opinion better, approach is to handle the clothes separately from the player model itself. This means having a blank model for your player and attaching the clothes to it. However, I'm not sure if this is possible. Additionally, I'm uncertain about how to do this.

I started a system for this in Leadwerks and will eventually move it to Ultra.  Basically I had an animated player character who wore just underwear.

Then I made each piece of clothing seperatly.

I can't remember specifics, but each clothing had to have the animated shaders and the same armature applied to it as the player.  Like I said, can't remeber how I did it exactly but that's the gist of it! 🙂

look at that beginning 2.47 I made that for a long time, maybe it is interesting...

Made with Mixamo and Leadwerks no ultra, it didn't exist

The problem is you have to animate the mesh. So I imported an animated fuse character with blender and added all the mesh on the bones.

Then set the mesh you don't want with invisible material,

Create a clothe as dropable item and then just show() the corresponding clothe mesh on the player as he equips it

Edit: you can't just show() it as it wasn't hidden, you have to replace the invisible material on the mesh with the clothe material with animated shader.

Hope it can help

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Andy90 said:

ah so in summory you added all cloths to the character and just hide all the cloth meshs. When a player equip  some shirt you show this mesh again. 

Yes exactly, I used Blender to import the meshes, transfer each one to the bones skeleton, then export the character with all the clothes mesh merged on it, and then seperetly export clothe items as .fbx to import the models in Leadwerks as dropable loot/items to equip.

It's much work but it works.

• Like 2