splines with UltraEngine

awgsknite

Okay, so we are talking about an editor extension.

It can be done, and I had this kind of thing in mind when I design the editor, but it's going to be moderately difficult. I think this is a great test to see how capable we can make the extensions system.

The first thing we have to do is define exactly what the behavior should be. This will probably involve a new object creation mode, in addition to the brush and point entity creation modes that already exist. It should be possible to add this entirely in Lua, with some modifications in the editor to expose the required functionality.

The other part is editing the spline objects. Is each node in the spline a separate entity that can be selected and moved independently, or is each spline considered to be one object, with a property to control the amount of subdivision? What kind of geometry should be generated for the spline? Can two or more spline objects be joined together, so they can branch?

I am happy to work with anyone who wants to try making something like this, but first we have to define the desired behavior.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think it would have to be so that each node can be moved independently and the graphics of the spline should be something like a metal texture ? and so that this at least would be able to use in the editor and maybe even ingame ? I would make it both ways in editor and ingame if possible. If you could make this and it was a reasonable price I would surely buy it ! I would have no idea myself on how to go about doing this as I've only done that sort of thing in Unity and that was in C#. Also the idea of the whole system is to have the player be able to jump on and off the rails at any given time and that they could go both directions on the rails. I haven't bought UltraEngine yet but I would buy it right away if I had this sort of system with it. Reason why I haven't bought it yet is I don't see anything I can make with it yet. Does it have different templates like RPG, RTS, FPS, adventure, driving, etc.. to work from to make a game yet ? I only seen basic things like a 3rd person controller vid and that was about it.

• 1 month later...