Whats the difference between a game made from scratch and a game engine made from scratch?

Vida Marcell

Hi everyone, i'm a bit lost in my game engine development, i dont understand whats the difference between a game made from scratch and a game engine made from scratch. Well i know that a game engine is meant to make more individual games, but both can have a level editor, graphics, physics, entity component system. So at this point, what is the difference?

• Thanks 1

I think "from scratch" needs to be defined before this can truly be answered. One could argue that using Direct3D, OpenGL, or Vulcan isn't "from scratch." One could also argue that making a game with Unity, Unreal, or UltraEngine is "from scratch."

Likewise, a game engine could be defined as any tool or toolset used to develop a game. It could also be defined as any tool or toolset used to manage and structure the development of a game.

So it really matters where you define your barriers. Unless there are standard definitions that I am not aware of, I don't think there is any one right answer to this question.

Let me know if I'm totally wrong :P I'm just an occasional hobbiest who isn't aware of much.

i now hate love C++

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep~~This is a test of the emergency signature system~~Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep

RX 6800XT | i5-13600KF | 32GB DDR5 | 1440p is perfect