Continued support for LE 2.5?

andy_s

Hi,

I have a few qiestiosn regarding LE 3 and the future of LE 2. I am not interested in mobile game dev and from what I get from the LE 3 website, it seems LE 3 is geared very much towards mobile dev.

- Is LE3 also using a deferred rendering engine?

- Does it support the same graphics features like LE2?

- When LE3 ships, for how long will support for 2.5 be continued?

- Is there a complete feature list for LE 3?

Thanks

Andy

1. The initial release wont have deferred rendering.

2. LE 3 can be used with older versions of OpenGL and therefore targets more computers. The disadvantage with the initial release is that the realtime lighting and shadows will not be present.

3. I am not sure about that one. I don't think there is going to be any new features for LE2, probably just some bugs that need to be fixed.

4. Looking for it but can't find it right away. I will update when I find it.

From Josh's Blog

-Any entity can be a physics body.

-Any entity can have any number of scripts attached to it. The basic model script functions will be supported for all entities, plus specialized script functions for certain entities. For example, particle emitters will have an optional script function that is called when a particle is reset. This could be used to make a fire emitter "burn" a mesh. Script functions are called in sequence, so you can attach a chain of scripts to an entity to combine behaviors.

-Prefabs will be supported, with the ability to drag entities together to make a hierarchy, add lights, emitters, and other entities, attach scripts, and then save a prefab.

-Record screenshots and movies from the editor!

-Tons of scripted behavior you can attach to your own models, and lots of scripted assets you can download. Basic AI features will be supplied.

-The editor is being designed so you only need a mouse to make games. If you want to script or program or make artwork you can, but at the simplest level, the whole workflow can be controlled in the editor, with reloading assets, automated imports, and lots of drag-and-drop functionality.

And with that:

- Navmesh generation.

- pathfinding implementation

- Particle editor

- Realtime Auto converting of models, textures etc. So adjusting in a moddling program or photoshop will emmidiatly affect the models in the editor.

- CSG editing

- Realtime shader editor

- Multi platform: PC, Windows, Android, iOs, (Other platform will come as well, but are not officialy announced I believe.)

• Upvote 1

I'm mostly worried about decent, usable shadows. LE2's shadowmapping works only for very short distances, and everything beyond 500 units is just fullbright. OpenGL stencil shadows would provide infinite distance of shadows, which is very important for me, but I think Josh doesn't like them. So I really don't know how to make a decent game with shadows on Android and Windows, because all the engines which actually have decent shadows have no C++ support.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober

that's good to hear... many of use are still, and plan to continue using L2 as their pre-eminent development tool for PC development...

--Mike

• Upvote 1