you need accurate answers

Guest ant0N

I want to buy Leadwerks, but there are a lot of questions.

1. 3D VISION support.

2. Very large landscape support.

3. Maximal limit of objects on the map.

4. Full engine customizing (minimal files needed is ENGINE.DLL, custom paths and so on)

5. Internal Terrain paging support

6. Better useful world editor

and yet, for some time working with LE2 demo, learned that he was a bad optimized and has a bunch of bugs...

1) Not inherit, you have to do the work yourself.

2) Only one terrain is supported (4096 height map). If you need larger or more, you'll have to use meshes.

3) You will always have a draw call limit no matter what engine. Most engines use distance culling for this reason. I would say 1k objects/entities at once is safe, possibly up to 5k, but that's not good design behavior.

4) Haven't seen an engine yet that you couldn't change simple options such as paths. To an extent, yes, LE lets you customize.

5) No

6) It does the job but it's missing some features. One feature it's missing is an undo/redo. A lot of LE2 members have built their own editors and/or tools, but not everyone needs more than what the editor provides. Depends on your project.

Last I checked the demo is outdated by several minor versions but there are bugs that still exist, mostly ignored since LE3 started development, and I wouldn't count on any major LE2 updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Not directly, but it helps a lot to make a device-independent program in C++, which can then also include cross-platform (universal) serial port controllers to switch on/off a coffee machine switch, or to give a signal to a lego robot which refills the water and coffee powder.

Without Leadwerks, you would have to link all the libraries and tools yourself, which is much more work.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Ahh got it Metatron. I have experience with lego robots, went to the world championships and took 18th there with my team. Mmmm, coffee at the touch of a button...

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D