Main Protagonist Proportions Done

Pancakes

I'm finally going to convert these voxels into polygons. After rejiggering and rejiggering for so long. I am so indecisive but I have finally decided! There are at least 100 iterations of this model on my harddrive each just the tiniest little bit different than the other.

What really finally helped me decide is the fact that I was watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam series and I noticed that even though the artists knew the anatomy for their characters that sometimes they just bent the rules in order to do whatever they liked. So I stopped trying to be so realistic as I was before and I just let it go and allowed myself to model the way I thought I wanted to see it.

Still not 100% happy but this is my personal best. So I'm allowing myself to be 94% happy for today. I am glad that I laid the groundwork for the gameplay code before I finished the character model because now I can just flow into the gameplay and animations side without too much of a jarring change of pace.

I'm curious in your honest reactions so that I can learn from them even though this is IT. I'm going with it. All the other 99 versions of this model are telling me to do it!

It's a bit comic booky but I'm alright with that. I have other, more grounded feeling versions where for example the hips are not so full and the head seems larger because the rest of the body is smaller and therefore a bit more common. She also has the supermodel trait of wide shoulders that are exceedingly narrow from the side view.

But hopefully the player will be too preoccupied with the game to be bothered by such things.

post-672-0-61545500-1335054262_thumb.png

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Hi i am not a character modeler, proportions are not choking me ,

except double-knees and forearm volume masking elbow.

in general too lean for my personal taste :)

human body is the most hard to make, good work

AMD Ryzen 5900HX - Nvidia RTX 3070 - 32 Go - 1To SSD - W11

Thanks guys. Hopefully this will help me improve. I agree with everything you say. Though the double knee was supposed to be the muscle right above the knee, it doesn't really look like it.

I went back over the 100 other versions to see where I went wrong. And actually at version number 50 and below I had the hips correct. But at some point I used the Pose tool in Voxel mode and everything got stretched out of porportion but I didn't notice it because of snow blindness. I dunno about 3d Coat anymore. It feels like if I want to correct the hips, the best thing to do is to just delete the legs and start over because I can't get the hang of that Pose tool. If I was sculpting on a base mesh using polygons instead of voxels or live clay, I'd have a lot more precision for stuff like this.

Really starting to wish I could get Zbrush. But for now, I think I'm going to go back to blender for sculpting.

I have no idea of whether this is an improvement of not. But I made some changes. I now have about 10 difference faces for this body I guess more or less not including all the inbetweeners. I simply can't choose. So, as I've been designing the costumes I have decided to possibly just cover her face. And to "pull a Tali" (or Samus, if you prefer) and just uncover her face for a few moments of the game only.

I think I had a more realistic looking face before I ever started posting screenshots. But I slowly started stylizing the lines. It even started to look a bit like the faces on the Shin Megami Tensei characters and that's when I decided to pull it back a little bit because I wanted a little bit more realism.

Anyways this is what I suppose I'm going with and I'm gonna start finalizing this. I think I improved the hips. But only in a subtle way. She is probably still double knee'd but I'm gonna cover that up anyway with clothing. Since I never learned to model arms very well, at least for now, I will probably just cover them also.

I'm also working on her theme song or her battle theme. I loved it late last night. But then I woke up next morning and was like..."Was I drunk or something when I did this?!"

Anywho, back to work.

post-672-0-99775200-1335957032_thumb.png

Surprise, she is an elf!

Sunday I am going to finalize her costume and begin retopo and animation. So that means that if you have beef with anything I'm doing as far as anatomy is concerned now would be a good time to express it!

I recognize the fact that the detail below her waist is rather lacking but that is because I don't think she is going to be baring any leg in the engine. Also, lack of skill.

I want to practice on better legs and arms parrellel to my working on this project, but I'm not sure if any of those practices will make it into the game because I have to move to more areas right now.

Thanks!

post-672-0-83295500-1336234755_thumb.png