Using the Leadwerks support e-mail address

Shaping

Don't use LE on you windows drive. I had all kinds of issues which resolved themselfs after i moved LE to another HDD/Partition.

Everything was fine before i moved to Vista/Win7...so blame Microsoft and not Josh...

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

That's why I moved the default installation directory to C:Leadwerks Engine SDK

I reinstalled LE2.5 Evaluation Kit in the default directory. When I run the basic cube demo, I get

Unhandled exception at 0x69068b02 in FirstLEApplication2.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x60d1368f.

in this function

int Graphics(int width, int height, int depth, int hertz, int flags)

{

return leGraphics(width, height, depth, hertz, flags);

}

with arguments 640,480,0,0,10

I strongly recommend using VS 2008 because support is built right in. Your VS 2010 applications will not run on Windows XP without additional required components that have to be downloaded and installed. Windows XP accounts for up to 43% of Windows machines, depending on which company's data you look at.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I strongly recommend using VS 2008 because support is built right in. Your VS 2010 applications will not run on Windows XP without additional required components that have to be downloaded and installed. Windows XP accounts for up to 43% of Windows machines, depending on which company's data you look at.

Noted. But that's okay, I'm very Windows-7-centric for now anyway, and am only trying to get a simulation video made (near-term). I think there are other problems, and I want to understand those before I decide to switch to VS 2008.

I just updated my FirePro 8700 driver to the latest version. I've rebooted a couple of times since. I rebuilt the FirstLEApplication project, inserting the simple cube code from this tutorial

http://www.leadwerks...rted-with-c-r85

I built, ran, and got the following in the console window

Leadwerks Engine 2.43

Initializing Renderer...

OpenGL Version: 3.3.11272 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL

GLSL Version: 3.30

Render device: ATI FirePro V8700 (FireGL)

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

DrawBuffers2 supported: 1

16 texture units supported.

GPU instancing supported: 1

Max batch size: 32

Shader model 4.0 supported: 1

Conditional render supported: 0

Error: Shader file "abstract::query.vert" not found.

Error: Shader file "abstract::query.vert" not found.Press any key to continue .

. .

This didn't happen before I updated the driver. Does anyone see the problem?

Add shaders.pak to your project folder, or call RegisterAbstractPath("C:Leadwerks Engine SDK") (or wherever you have the SDK demo installed.)

shaders.pak was in place. The RegisterAbstractPath call was not. I inserted RegisterAbstractPath("C:Leadwerks Engine SDK") after the Initialize() line, and that fixed the problem. Thanks. Clicking once on the close button of the console closes the graphic graphic window. Clicking a second time closes the console window.

[Edit] Actually one click closes both windows. The graphic window closes immediately; but you must wait a long time (about 5 seconds) for the console window to close. Does unloading a DLL really take that long?

I guess that tutorial should be updated to include the extra line.

You don't need that extra line, if you set your output and working directory to your game folder.

Thanks. I rather like having the line in the code because it makes the program more immune to the particulars of the VS environ, which I don't use much, and always have some trouble acclimating to again.

game folder == project folder ?

Below are the instructions in the tutorial for these two fields:

Output directory changes from "$(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)" to "../$(ConfigurationName)"

Working directory changes from "$(ProjectDir)" to “$(TargetDir)”

No, I would keep project folder completely seperate from game folder. In project folder you have your project files and source codes, and in game folder you have only the binary files for the released game.

I use this kind of folder structure:

c:homeusernameprojectsgame1distro // this is the game folder

c:homeusernameprojectsgame1source // this is the project folder

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

No, I would keep project folder completely seperate from game folder. In project folder you have your project files and source codes, and in game folder you have only the binary files for the released game.

I use this kind of folder structure:

c:homeusernameprojectsgame1distro // this is the game folder

c:homeusernameprojectsgame1source // this is the project folder

Okay, so you don't use the generic values above for the Output and Working directories. You just enter the literal game folder name into both fields, right?

I'm building a series of projects corresponding to the tutorials. The process is a bit heavier than I want. I have to copy the same two folders, eight DLLs, and two .dds files over to the new debug folder of the new project, every time. Is this what most developers do? Is there an easier way?