My 3rd person Controller

ParaToxic

Normally i have my mouse set to extremely sensitive, but it's very slow in your game. Nothing serious though, just make an option for that later. I can't help it, but it looks funny when you strafe and walk at the same time. Apart from that i like it ;)

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

Ok thanks for trying ;)

The problem with the rotation is ,that I TFormPoint and when the pivot the rotates to fast the camera doesn't follow ,so when the angle of the pivot is for example 350 ° and the Camera has still 90° than the Camera turns back the other way.

See : Character.exe (Only the exe ,you have to download the zip before and copy that)

Ok I think the problem is solved because I made it a little bit more faster and set a min,max to it.

Character2.exe

:D

Thanks ;)

Yes I use C++ .I use Pivots for that.The Pivot CameraPivot is the camera but I have 3 other Classes above and this section of class is privat ,so I use that and use EntityParent later.

The other Pivot is Middlepivot ,which is positioned in the middle or at the head and you turn that pivot with the X/Y of the Mouse,and the Camera is moved to a position ,which is created by TFormPoint between the Middlepivot and the camera self.

I have here the code for somebody who needs.

UpdateController(Controller0,ControllerAngle,Move,Strafe,0,35.0,1,K_Crouch);  //Update Controller with the Controllerangle,move,strafe and the K_Crouch

///////////////Mouse//////////////////////////
mx =  MouseX() - GraphicsWidth()/2.0;
my = MouseY() - GraphicsHeight()/2.0;

//mz = MouseZ();

DrawText(0,120,"mx = %f my = %f",mx,my);

mx = max(mx,-150.0);
mx = min(mx,150.0);

/*mz = min(mz,6.0);
mz = max(mz,-6.0);

if(mz > 6.0)
{
	mz = 6.0;
}
if(mz < -6.0)
{
	mz = -6.0;
}
*/

PivotRotation.X += my/5.0;
PivotRotation.Y -= mx/5.0;

MoveMouse(GraphicsWidth()/2,GraphicsHeight()/2);

RotateEntity(MiddlePivot,Vec3(PivotRotation.X,PivotRotation.Y/5.0,0));              //Rotate the middlepivot

PointEntity(CameraPivot,MiddlePivot);      //Point the cmaera to the middlepivot,so its better to position middlepivot in the near of the head

PivotRotation.X = Curve(max(PivotRotation.X,-20.0),PivotRotation.X,2.0);
PivotRotation.X = Curve(min(PivotRotation.X,23.0),PivotRotation.X,2.0);

MoveEntity(CameraPivot,Vec3(TFormPoint(Vec3(0,1,-2),MiddlePivot,CameraPivot).X/30.0,TFormPoint(Vec3(0,1,-2),MiddlePivot,CameraPivot).Y/30.0,TFormPoint(Vec3(0,1,-2),MiddlePivot,CameraPivot).Z/30.0));   //The main position command

PositionEntity(MiddlePivot,Vec3(EntityPosition(Controller0).X,EntityPosition(Controller0).Y + 1.6,EntityPosition(Controller0).Z));

I downloaded the “The Game” zip file and replaced the exe with the character2 file and I’m still moving the mouse too much unless I did something wrong. I also think strafing moving distance needs to be toned down meaning if I strafe right the character should only move a few steps to the right. I also think it would be better if the camera didn’t zoom out as much when I start moving but this probably depends on the type of game your making.

Ok now after a little pause I optimized the controll a little bit and solved the problem with the camerarotation and something else.

The Code is:

UpdateController(Controller0,ControllerAngle,Move,Strafe,0,35.0,1,K_Crouch);

mx = Curve(MouseX() - GraphicsWidth()/2.0,mx,5.0);
my = MouseY() - GraphicsHeight()/2.0;

DrawText(0,120,"mx = %f my = %f",mx,my);

mx = max(mx,-150.0);
mx = min(mx,150.0);

my = min(my,30);
my = max(my,-30);

PivotRotation.X += my/10.0;
PivotRotation.Y -= mx/4.0;

MoveMouse(GraphicsWidth()/2,GraphicsHeight()/2);

RotateEntity(MiddlePivot,Vec3(PivotRotation.X,PivotRotation.Y/5.0,0));

PointEntity(CameraPivot,MiddlePivot);

PivotRotation.X = Curve(max(PivotRotation.X,-30.0),PivotRotation.X,2.0);
PivotRotation.X = Curve(min(PivotRotation.X,23.0),PivotRotation.X,2.0);

MoveEntity(CameraPivot,Vec3(TFormPoint(Vec3(0,1,-2),MiddlePivot,CameraPivot).X/5.0,TFormPoint(Vec3(0,1,-2),MiddlePivot,CameraPivot).Y/25.0,TFormPoint(Vec3(0,1,-2),MiddlePivot,CameraPivot).Z/5.0));

PositionEntity(MiddlePivot,Vec3(EntityPosition(Controller0).X,EntityPosition(Controller0).Y + 1.6,EntityPosition(Controller0).Z));

And the exe for testing is here(the same way as before,donwload the game.zip and replace the exe)Character.exe