LMG (minigame: Oildrum Madness)

Ywa

What is it?

A small minigame I worked on a while ago. Published it at some other website, but I never bothered to do so here.

Technical specs

• Coded in Delphi (Object Pascal)
  • Custom libraries in C++ (FreeType text etc.)
  • Minigame itself was coded in a day. The framework/base code was already available at that time and is part of months of work (and can do far more than shown here).

Requirements to play

Decent videocard ( NVidia Shader Model 3.0 GPU or ATI/AMD Shader Model 4.0 graphics card (NVidia GEForce 6600, ATI Radeon 3000) ).

OpenAL and MSVC++ redist need to be installed. Both of these packages are included in the extra folder! (install them if you have startup errors).

Download

Version 0.1.0.0 (28th August 2011)

Post scores! ;)

• Upvote 1

Haha ... cool game. Simple idea but really quite addictive. Man do those barrels move at times !!!! Only just started playing it but my high score so far is a pathetic 68 :) I can do better :D

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

What is it?

A small minigame I worked on a while ago. Published it at some other website, but I never bothered to do so here.

Technical specs

• Coded in Delphi (Object Pascal)
  • Custom libraries in C++ (FreeType text etc.)
  • Minigame itself was coded in a day. The framework/base code was already available at that time and is part of months of work (and can do far more than shown here).

Requirements to play

Decent videocard ( NVidia Shader Model 3.0 GPU or ATI/AMD Shader Model 4.0 graphics card (NVidia GEForce 6600, ATI Radeon 3000) ).

OpenAL and MSVC++ redist need to be installed. Both of these packages are included in the extra folder! (install them if you have startup errors).

Download

Version 0.1.0.0 (28th August 2011)

Post scores! :)

hI Ywa

Scored 67 !

i like the interface, the sound and the fonts.

How is your race game going ?

Cheers

Wchris

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

I gave it about 5 mins and I ended up with about 20 :) Some of those things really come flying at you.

Escape didn't exit the game for me though. I tried spamming every key but must not have found the right one. Had to ctl-alt-del.

Woot 66!

I think I found a way to sort of cheat. When I pressed ` to bring up console I felt like I wasn't getting pushed around as hard and could last longer.

I expected better scores! You guys can do better!

How is your race game going ?

Working on it when I'm in the mood. The pre-pre-pre-Alpha is available here: http://projects.limetric.com/projects/rm-bin/wiki

Escape didn't exit the game for me though. I tried spamming every key but must not have found the right one. Had to ctl-alt-del.

Alt+F4 does the job. I didn't bother adding a decent Quit thing yet.

I think I found a way to sort of cheat. When I pressed ` to bring up console I felt like I wasn't getting pushed around as hard and could last longer.

I believe there's a cvar somewhere that makes it easy to cheat. Only enabling the console shouldn't make a difference.

Working on it when I'm in the mood. The pre-pre-pre-Alpha is available here: http://projects.limetric.com/projects/rm-bin/wiki

glad to hear you're still working on it :)

the title "race maniacs" reminds me a hana barbera cartoon called "wacky races"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Races

http://www.search-best-cartoon.com/images/wacky-races-02.gif

do you plan to make realistic cars or more fun cars like wacky races ?

There was allready a game about wacky races, and there's probably a copyright ... but you can make a game with the same spirit.

i think you should go for such a delirium and fun race game. first because you cannot rival with colin mc ray or race driver grid productions and because LE2 physics engine is limited. But for a fun race game LE2 should be ok.

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

do you plan to make realistic cars or more fun cars like wacky races ?

I'm doubting if I should continue the project at all. I might focus more on minigames like this one (and bundle them or so). Takes less time to make.

Glad you like it @ Aily. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I decided to pick this up again and worked on it off-and-on. It's now a 'minigame' for up to 32 players.

BMClient_2012-12-12_14-11-40-00_7521.png

Situation: local player died, remote is still going

Environment: Some Super Mario remix as background song, fog colour changes regurarly

This will be combined with other minigames into some sort of simple game (nothing serious). Any minigame suggestions are welcome. (fun & simple modes are preferred).

Edit:

If anyone cares. This is how the server output is like (yeah I joined twice with same name):

bmodserv_5aa2.png

Guest Red Ocktober

nice work...

i'd like to see this in action with at least 16 players onboard... and i'd also like to dissect your multiplayer code and logic...

physics?

if yes, where is the physics happening (client/server/both)?

many, many more (networking) questions... laugh.png

--Mike

I expect major lag with 16 players, seeing it's not really optimized yet. :P

Physics are happening at both client & server. Where the server overrules the client.

There is an 'entity manager' which makes sure all clients have the same entities as the server. That means that everything is synced. :)