Variables and Entities

Clackdor

So, I'm playing around with player animation and I have what I think is a style question, but could possibly be more. When accessing bones in a model, would it be better to create a variable to store the bone and then access the variable:

Load {
TEntity headbone = FindChild (mesh,"Bip01 Head");
}

Run {
Animate (frame,headbone,0,0):
}

OR Just use the FindChild function all the time.

Run {
Animate(frame, FindChild(mesh,"Bip01 Head"),0,0);
}

OR is it simply a style question and my graphics rendering will dominate resource cost?

Speed is always a problem in games, and you can never make a game how you would want, but must reduce assets complexity and code. So I would go always with the simple rule that make things optimal when you can.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Access to a simple variable ( a pointer in this case) is always going to involve less overhead than running a Leadwerks function. It wouldn't matter either way if it was a single call, but if its repeated then I'd go with the variable every time.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++