Poly count for a tree?

tournamentdan

Obviously, as low as possible.. I can say 1000 polys for LOD1, but if you can make it look equally good with only 500, well... :) And the more LOD levels you have, the more performance scalable the vegetation is gonna be (ie. using lod levels 1-3 for high-end, 3-6 for low end systems). This totally depends on the model, but I usually half the poly count in each next LOD level (or even more). You can also use a different material for each LOD model. This way you can use simpler shaders, and maybe a smaller and more dense branch texture (more leafs to compensate for less geometry). It pays to have the vegetation as optimized as possible, since it's mostly used in very large numbers, the small savings add up...

Thanks for the reply Paramecij. I was really only thinking of doing 3 LODs, but I think you talked me into about six. I think I will try a little higher for the top LOD. Right now I am at 1500 triangles. Might try a little more for the up close and personal.

Can we use a double sided texture with this engine? I was thinking of trying to use only two planes for the (Ultra) low LOD.

Thanks for the reply Paramecij. I was really only thinking of doing 3 LODs, but I think you talked me into about six. I think I will try a little higher for the top LOD. Right now I am at 1500 triangles. Might try a little more for the up close and personal.

I see trees these days are using 3000-5000 triangles for the main model, other small vegetation much less - as it's generally used in larger numbers..

[Can we use a double sided texture with this engine? I was thinking of trying to use only two planes for the (Ultra) low LOD.
If you mean that the plane is visible from both sides, just put this in your .mat file

cullface=0

..Can we perhaps see some work in progress pics already?

I actually meant something different with the two sided plane.I guess I miss understood the tutorial that I watched a few months back.Just went over it again and I see that they just duplicated a plane then reversed the normals. So the one plane is actually two planes. I was thinking of trying to use just two planes in a x pattern for the lowest LOD but if I do it this way I could do it with four planes.

Sure I can show some pics. I will even throw in some other models I am working on. Note that nothing is textured. I have to dust off my genetica and start finishing these things. :)

post-570-0-43219600-1317820239_thumb.png

post-570-0-80226400-1317820282_thumb.png

post-570-0-90096700-1317820295_thumb.png

post-570-0-22559100-1317820305_thumb.png

post-570-0-54481300-1317820344_thumb.png

post-570-0-07413100-1317820365_thumb.png

post-570-0-59218700-1317820389_thumb.png

Very nice!

Incidentally, I have quite a collection of photo based textures for vegetation, that are looking for nice models to be put on :) ..maybe you could find them useful, or would you rather do your own?

Thank you.

I will certainly keep that in mind since genetica is kind of new to me. So if I pull all my hair out I will definitely come a callin.