Regeneration

wayneg

I'd like to play around with a concept, where one would place a tree on the terrain.

The tree would spawn a new smaller tree away from the first, after considering some rules.

Kinda like Conway's version of life but using Leadwerks and trees, or other models.

Be interesting to see the trees to grow, live and die. I'd also want to cap the population so it doesnt get out of control.

What ideas can you suggest to do this experiment ?

The logic should be quite simple but making your trees look like they are growing realistically is the tricky part.

If you could procedurally generate your tree trunks, branches and foliage then that would produce the best approximation, using maybe a fractal type algorithm. Conversely you could substitute in a series of pre sized models over time or simply scale a small model over time (wouldn't look very realistic).

A different approach would be forget the models all together and use a billboard with a video of a tree growing and eventually dying (if you can find or make such a thing), these could be spawned easily and simply run through their life cycle.

Not really sure how detailed and realistic you want this to be.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++