animation and physics

cassius

I have been experimenting with animation and physics. I find that if I give my character a cube shaped body and set mass to something like 8.0 I get a lot of movement in fight scenes ( with sword or axe) some of it unexpected but fun to watch., but if I set mass to 0.0 it is more static but more controllable so I thought I would ask what most of you do in this respect with regard to animations and physics.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Your body box is colliding with the sword, and when both are parented together in some way, it causes random movements, like the player walking around like drunk by itself.

To fix that, you must give different collisiontypes to the body and the sword and set those types not to collide with eachother, except for responsecollision, or make sure they don't collide.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Ok. How do I reference the sword?

apart from my cintroller character all other characters are placed in the editor. I know their names ( such as RedKnight) but not the names of individual parts like sword or hand etc.

There seems to be no way of refering to a sword or other parts of a character in the le editor. Only the character as a whole is available unless I am missing something.

You need the sword of course as a seperate model. It should not be a submesh of the model, as it makes things only more difficult and inflexible.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Thanks for reply.

One of the things I am looking for is a character that walks forward while weilding a sword.They all seem to stand still.

I suffer from the same limitations of using 'off the shelf' purchased animations. Far better to work with an animator as part of a team to provide custom animations tailored for the game.

You can blend the top and bottom half of animations and use procedural animation to get round this to a certain extent but it's never going to work as well as having them specifically designed.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Yes I too have tried mixing animations and it does go some way to acheiving what I want.

The main purpose of this thread was to find out how other people are handling the mixture of physics and animation and maybe give me a few tips.

One unexpected thing I find is that enemy characters tend to push my player character across the level.This surprised me and while it is fun to watch I would like to find out how to have more controll of it.

That's right, you need to apply the same mass, force etc to your NPCs as you do your Player if you want them to be reasonably matched.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++