RPG Creation

Shadow

Hello Everyone,

I recently decided to embark on a voyage of creating an RPG and I need some general assistance if you would be so kind?

Little bit of background:

I have been in IT for a long while but unrelated to games programming (So I am really new), on the coding side I have done bits with HTML, PHP, Visual Basic, Java ..

I am an extremely dedicated guy who loves fixing issues, that's the only reason I am even considering this endeavour.

On the relevant topic, I would like to follow the route of the Square Enix style of games (Final Fantasy, Infinite Undiscovery) etc.

So first is first, I have seen demo's of LeadWerks on youtube and they seem impressive but RPG detail's are immense so how easy is the workflow e.g. I will have a couple of protagonists and many NPC's spanned across many locations?

Would the easiest option just to learn and use Lua with Leadwerks? Or use BlitzMax?

For custom terrain development and objects shall I purchase the 3D world Studio to use in conjunction with Leadwerks?

I want to use a non realtime battle system, so how easy is it to incorporate menu's / real time submenu's?

Any support for creating CGI video's or shall I use an external application for this?

I am looking at a two and a half year development time so if I upgrade to future releases can I import my current game without any dissruption to my current work?

Does the engine have nearly everything I need graphically to get the task finished?

Thank you for your time, I am sorry to ramble on.

Regards,

Shadow

the three primary languages are bmax, lua, & c++. Pick whichever language you feel most comfortable with.

Leadwerks editor has terrain functionality itself so no need for 3d world studio.

a big hurdle with be the amount of art assets for any rpg game.

Have fun and good luck.

the three primary languages are bmax, lua, & c++. Pick whichever language you feel most comfortable with.

Leadwerks editor has terrain functionality itself so no need for 3d world studio.

a big hurdle with be the amount of art assets for any rpg game.

Have fun and good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response :)

When you say asset's are you reffering to backdrops, scenery etc.?

If that's the case what would be the ideal programme to use for all of these?

Assets mean models,textures etc. A 3d app is required . A lot of people use Blender for this ( its free). Lua script is mainly used on a per objrct basis while your main program will be written in Blitzmax or c++.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Assets mean models,textures etc. A 3d app is required . A lot of people use Blender for this ( its free). Lua script is mainly used on a per objrct basis while your main program will be written in Blitzmax or c++.

Oh ok so for, Characters, chests, decoration etc.

Lol I downloaded the trial version and I can't even get the editor to open, that will stump progress.. I installed OpenAL and it just shuts itself off on Windows XP.

My advice would be to forget the game for the first year and concentrate on the basics. Learn a programming language well; learn all about the basics of game creation including path finding, AI and game flow logic and how to implement it, asset creation and 3D modeling including animation techniques, textures and UV mapping (at least a basic understanding of the fundamentals to you can liaise in a meaningful way with modelers and asset creators), shaders and particle emitters. Whilst doing all this and experimenting with it you'll get a good grounding in the Leadwerks Engine API. Have a play around with level design but don’t waste too much time on this as just about anyone can do that and without the rest it will remain sat in your editor doing nothing other than looking pretty! It's hard to describe to someone new to game design just how much of a learning curve it is but it’s very exciting so if you’re motivated you can do it.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

• 2 weeks later...