Get the valie from LUA option

AggrorJorn

You don't access the menu value directly. What you do is in the SetKey() function (you can look at other entities to see how the SetKey() works) for the model you added this property to, you would use http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Entities#SetEntityKey to assign this model instance a key/value. In your case you would do something like:

model:SetKey("hand_icon", "true")

Then in your fps lua file where you pick, you are picking the model and when you get the model you can do:

if(model:GetKey("hand_icon")) then

-- change icon to the hand icon

end

So the ideas is you create menu options. When the menu options are set the SetKey() function is called which allows you to assign the value to your entities OR models that you can later get at other places.

hmm Although I'm more clear about what the SetKey does, it's not entirely clear where to put them exactly. This is the menu option.

group:AddProperty( "showicon",PROPERTY_BOOL,"","Show hand icon")

I've added this to the spawn function :

function Spawn(model)
model:SetKey("showicon","1")

This way when a new switch is being dragged on, it has a default value of 1 (true).

Next there is the function SetKey(model,key,value). I've place a new model.setkey command but here I get an error.

function SetKey(model,key,value)
entitymodel:SetKey("showicon","true")

The error message "attempt to index global 'entitymodel' (a nill value)". What does this error mean exactly?

hmm Although I'm more clear about what the SetKey does, it's not entirely clear where to put them exactly. This is the menu option.

group:AddProperty( "showicon",PROPERTY_BOOL,"","Show hand icon")

I've added this to the spawn function :

function Spawn(model)
model:SetKey("showicon","1")

This way when a new switch is being dragged on, it has a default value of 1 (true).

Next there is the function SetKey(model,key,value). I've place a new model.setkey command but here I get an error.

The error message "attempt to index global 'entitymodel' (a nill value)". What does this error mean exactly?

What is entitymodel? The code you posted doesn't show what entitymodel is? If you look at other script examples there is a way to get the lua entity from the model that is being passed into SetKey(). There is something like get_Base() or something that you pass your model into and it returns a lua entity in which you can call SetKey() from. The other route to go is to just use the C++/BMax functions for SetEntityKey() passing in the model that is passed to SetKey(). I'm pretty sure the same result will happen.

I have to be close then:

switch.lua

group=grid:AddGroup( 'Icon' )
group:AddProperty( 'showicon', PROPERTY_BOOL,'', 'Show hand icon' )
group:Expand(1)
end

if key=='showicon' then
	SetEntityKey(model,"switchIcon","true")
end
end

the fpscontroller:

-- show hand icon
if (GetEntityKey(model,"switchIcon","true")) then
handIcon = true
end

The engine crashes entirely when I approach the switch.

I would expect that to work. Are you calling this GetEntityKey in fpscontroller inside the main loop or before it? If it's before it might be an issue as things might not be loaded.

Also your true is a string so in your if statement you will need to check for == "true"

I though that 'model' was some kind of global class.

--check hand icon

pick=CameraPick(camera,Vec3(GraphicsWidth()/2,GraphicsHeight()/2,2.0),0,0)
	if pick~=nil then
		repeat
			if pick.entity:GetClass()==ENTITY_MODEL then
				break
			end
			pick.entity=pick.entity.parent
		until pick.entity==nil

-- show hand icon
		if (GetEntityKey(model,"switchIcon","true"))== true then
			handIcon = true
		end

else
	handIcon = false	

end

In a previous topic I wondered if I could change "GetClass()==ENTITY_MODEL " could change into my own kind of class. But this ways seemed the better solution to this.

using

if (GetEntityKey(pick.entity,"switchIcon","true")) then

results in no errors, but the icon appears on every single model.

If I try

if (GetEntityKey(pick.entity,"switchIcon","true"))== true then

then the hand icon doesn't appear. So it looks like the command is right now, but it doesn't refer to the right key. Also this code seems quite fragile as the editor crashes with the smallest of change.

Try

if (GetEntityKey(pick.entity,"switchIcon","true")== "true") then

true and "true" are not the same thing. "true" is a string and true is a boolean. You are setting the entity key to the string "true" and that if statement you have is trying to compare the key value of either "true" or "false" to true, which isn't the same. It might be better to pick some other value to avoid the confusion for you. Like "yes" or "no" maybe.

The good thing is we know that pick.entity is the right value because of your first if statement setting the icon with all models. The reason is because that first if statement is always returning true for some reason.