Vegetation and specific entities

Flexman

This is a longshot and probably will end up in feature requests.

Leadwerks 2.4+ added collideable vegetation and picks that work against them too. Great stuff. But suppose I wanted to destroy one of these trees, say through a collision...or fire as per the screenshot below.

Is there a practical way of doing a pick or a collision test to get at that entity data to remove it?

fire_in_the_hole.jpg

It would be handy to get at the internal array entry for the tree from pick information.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

This is a longshot and probably will end up in feature requests.

Leadwerks 2.4+ added collideable vegetation and picks that work against them too. Great stuff. But suppose I wanted to destroy one of these trees, say through a collision...or fire as per the screenshot below.

Is there a practical way of doing a pick or a collision test to get at that entity data to remove it?

fire_in_the_hole.jpg

It would be handy to get at the internal array entry for the tree from pick information.

There isn't a practical way, but I have thought about a method of temporarily hiding them and replacing them with a soft body tree. I am pretty sure crysis must do something like this. This would also work for destruction. But it's not supported and not a simple thing to just add, without a lot of planning.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I was looking forward to try and do something just like in the screenshot when I saw vegetation raycast were added.. So what can you do currently with the vegetation entity returned from picks? .. And are there any real specific advantages to vegatation layers insted of just regular ol' instanced geometry placed around the scene?

I was looking forward to try and do something just like in the screenshot when I saw vegetation raycast were added.. So what can you do currently with the vegetation entity returned from picks? .. And are there any real specific advantages to vegatation layers insted of just regular ol' instanced geometry placed around the scene?

Vegetation is very, very fast to render large amounts of. You would never be able to render the same amount of foliage with individual entities. The memory requirements alone would take gigabytes.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.