Can I use the Editor to just create and texture a terrain

Eric

When I save the terrain from the editor..after adding a texture.. I get the SBX file... but where are all of the textures saved too?

If all I want is a textured terrain, is it better to load the heightmap and add the textures in code or load the SBX file?

How does all of this work.

Is there a Manual for Leadwerks engine? I saw the editor manual. But I'm looking for a language manual.

Is there a terrain tutorial?

Thanks,

Eric

When I save the terrain from the editor..after adding a texture.. I get the SBX file... but where are all of the textures saved too?

If all I want is a textured terrain, is it better to load the heightmap and add the textures in code or load the SBX file?

How does all of this work.

Is there a Manual for Leadwerks engine? I saw the editor manual. But I'm looking for a language manual.

Is there a terrain tutorial?

Thanks,

Eric

The heightmap and alphamap are saved to the same folder as the SBX file... MAPS. The textures used are kept in the Materials Folder under the Terrain folder.

If you are wanting to paint details into your terrain then I would suggest that you use the editor.

and the wiki has info for the Terrain commands, but all of this can easily be just achieved by just loading the scene/SBX file.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

The heightmap and alphamap are saved to the same folder as the SBX file... MAPS. The textures used are kept in the Materials Folder under the Terrain folder.

If you are wanting to paint details into your terrain then I would suggest that you use the editor.

and the wiki has info for the Terrain commands, but all of this can easily be just achieved by just loading the scene/SBX file.

Is there more overhead using a Scene/SBX file?

The Textures are in the materials folder... Can I move these to my own project folder? I'm a little confused as to the layout of this.

Thanks,

Eric

terrain height is saved to a .raw file.

texture placement information is saved to a .dds file.

vegetation is per vegetation layer stored in a .dat file.

model placement, rotation and scale is being stored in the .sbx file.

The textures that you use for your scene have to reside in your project folder. When you want to use your own textures, then you need to rename your textures:

terrain.dds --> vegetation_terrain.dds

This way the editor knows it is about terrain textures.

Coincedental, I started making a video tutorial series about terrain editing last week. But it isn't finished yet.

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/resources/_/artwork/tools/terrain-editing-r52

The User Guide goes in to more detail about terrain editing:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/resources/_/artwork/tools/leadwerks-23-user-guide-r16

OK...so I want to use the .SBX file... How do I go about that? I know how to create my terrain, and I can load it in.

How do I parse it?

I don't need to worry about anything other than the terrain... No object, lights, vegetation or light. Just the terrain and the textures.

Thanks,

Eric

OK...so I want to use the .SBX file... How do I go about that? I know how to create my terrain, and I can load it in.

How do I parse it?

I don't need to worry about anything other than the terrain... No object, lights, vegetation or light. Just the terrain and the textures.

Thanks,

Eric

It depends on the language that you will use for the exact syntax, but basically the easiest way is to load the scene, iterate through all of the scene's children or world's entities, and grab the child/entity that is the terrain class.

a BlitzMax method is shown here: http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/topic/3054-how-to-retrieve-pointer-to-terrain-from-loaded-scene-blitzmax-style/

the lua method can be done like this:

require("scripts/linkedlist")
for ent in iterate(CurrentWorld().entities) do
if ent:GetClass()==ENTITY_TERRAIN then
end
end

macklebee's channel

The textures that you use for your scene have to reside in your project folder. When you want to use your own textures, then you need to rename your textures:

terrain.dds --> vegetation_terrain.dds

This way the editor knows it is about terrain textures.

for terrain textures to show up in the Editor's paint Layer section, the name of the texture has to be like 'terrain_XXXX.dds' or even 'terrain_XXXX_YYYY.dds' if you want to create a folder inside the Open File dialog...

the naming of vegetation models to be used in the Editor's vegetation Layer section uses the 'vegetation_AAAA.gmf' and 'vegetation_AAAA_BBBB.gmf' naming convention...

macklebee's channel