simple question

dennis

HI,

1:) yes, gravity can be disabled per scene or per object. Besides that you can also change the gravity into the direction you want to.

2:) It is possible to make an online game with Leadwerks, but you do need to have someone in your team who knows how to do network programing.

wich means ? do I need to use a 3rd party addon, or is it build in ?

it's about making a online space game

It doesn't have a hard limit of 64, but the developer said it can't handle more.

When we tried that with Josh's multiplayer game we also saw that the lag increased with more players, and it looked also like it would cap at 64.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

RakNet is just a networking library. You'll have to know C++ to get it working. If you know C++ then it's just a matter of linking it into your program and sending messages between client/server. I've used it before and I really like it.

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/

RakNet also now has C# so you could use that also.

This is a very good networking library and has been used in commercial games. It's free for projects under $250k.

Guest Red Ocktober

if you haven't heard of raknet... and don't know what sdl is... then i doubt that you're ready to embark on any multiplayer game dev at this time... sounds like a lil preliminary reading and a few proof of concept test apps may be your best route right now...

leadwerks will provide you with the api (plus some), but the real 'engine' for your game is gonna have to be implemented by you... and this is where a lot of networked simulations fail,

most approach the networking aspects of their game as an afterthought... and when they run the result of their lack of planning over the wires, it is apparent...

from my lil experience with networked multiplayer games, i've found that the approach the people at Torque (GarageGames) have taken to be the best route... everything in their engine is built around a client/server model, with the concept of server objects and ghosted objects implemented into the logic at an early stage in the engine architecture... this way means that every new object added to the mix is already net aware...

using this approach seems to provide the best (from my point of view) chance of working if you want to use the existing Leadwerks networking logic... and you should be able to get a fast, reliable 32 player game up and running...

in my opinion, and as someone above has said, 64 players sounds like a practical cap if this route is taken... but that really depends on the type game you're planning... 64 might itself be a lil too optimistic a target if high speed action and responses are required...

lag time and prediction logic will have to be more of a consideration in this scenario, more so than in something that is a rpg type game

sorry... my experiences with (and knowledge of) raknet and sdl are too limited for me to give you anything worthwhile...

planning before coding is the key, whatever way you choose to go... if you do that, i think you'll find leadwerks a good choice...

good luck...

--Mike