Question About Installing A Motherboard.

Davaris

I have a question for the hardware gurus. I have a Cooler Master CM 690 case and I have hooked everything up, except for the front panel's HDD lights and the buttons. The problem I am having is I don't know which are the earth wires, because the manual doesn't mention colours. All of the pairs of wires with earths on them come in different colours from red, blue, yellow etc, but the commonality they all have is a white wire to go with a coloured one. So at this point I'm thinking the earth wire is the white wire. Am I right? What if I am wrong? Will I fry my lights and buttons if the wires are in the wrong slots, or will they just fail to work?

BTW

I just noticed the Hardware Discussion forum was missing, when I needed to ask a question about my PC, so I hope it comes back.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

And dont do what I did, plug a USB cable into the Firewire header blink.gif

"Hey this mouse is broken, I'll try this one...hmmm, this mouse is broken too, what about this one....hey, all these mice are broken...what are the odds of .... uh oh." (different voltages, stupid m/b had same pin layout for each).

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

or get the usb voltage and ground mixed up lol

if you do you watch the board glow then burn out

seen a few boards have that done lol

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Get the MoBo's model and look up the correct layout online. Most manufacturers will have a PDF file at least. And like everyone else said, doesn't hurt your computer if you guess wrong.

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

Thanks for your help everyone. I was a bit worried that I had fried it for a while, because the bios didn't kick over on the first few starts - I didn't bother buying a CD burner, so I had to put the install disk on a USB stick and plug it in before it would go. Anyhow its all working now and I'll be installing Leadwerks later tonight when I can hook it up to the net. ;)

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

4 GB RAM

Thanks for your help everyone. I was a bit worried that I had fried it for a while, because the bios didn't kick over on the first few starts - I didn't bother buying a CD burner, so I had to put the install disk on a USB stick and plug it in before it would go. Anyhow its all working now and I'll be installing Leadwerks later tonight when I can hook it up to the net. ;)

...wait...what? You don't have a CD/DVD reader in any shape or form?

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

lol most new motherboard do not have floppy and the last driver was made over 5 years ago

the truth is you can install win7 from a 8gb usb stick

and there other way to install with out using a optical.

anyway please you go it working Davaris, what motherboard did you get

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Well, an external USB Floppy is fine. You still need Floppy disks when you want to play some old Amiga games, or read some old PC floppies, but also some servers with Windows 2003 need additional drivers from USB floppy disk (unless you want to make a custom setup CD).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

...wait...what? You don't have a CD/DVD reader in any shape or form?

Not on the new PC. I have a couple of old PCs with CD burners and floppy drives, so I just created an image on the 8 GB USB. Hopefully USB will improve enough one day, to replace optical technology, because I prefer USB.

>what motherboard did you get

I got the cheapest machine money could buy. Once I've settled in with all this, I might try my hand at over clocking it. ;)

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

Phenom II X3 720

9800GTX+

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

4 GB RAM

I'm all for the throwing away of CD burners. But DVD drives? How can you exist without one? All games and applications come on them. A top of the line DVD/CD combo burner costs like $90AUD tops. Its like the most bang-for-buck component in a new PC hah.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

I'm all for the throwing away of CD burners. But DVD drives? How can you exist without one? All games and applications come on them. A top of the line DVD/CD combo burner costs like $90AUD tops. Its like the most bang-for-buck component in a new PC hah.

The thing about games, is when you're playing them you aren't making them. So there'll be no games on this machine, until I make at least one on it. :blink:

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

4 GB RAM

The thing about games, is when you're playing them you aren't making them. So there'll be no games on this machine, until I make at least one on it. :)

Its a fair enough point I guess. I like to call playing games 'research' though haha.

Programmer, Modeller