MDL to GMF converter?

shlomip

MilkShape has an SMD importer, and someone has written a GMF exporter for milkshape (but with no animations).

But I'll give you the same warning.

Using commercial assets in your game is illegal unless you have permission to do so from the company who owns the assets.

There is a commonly held belief that if your game is "free" or "not for profit" that this does not apply. This is not true. It's illegal to use copyrighted media whatever the circumstances.

That said, if you use these assets for personal testing only (ie, no one else has access), Valve are not likely to pursue legal action against you. But if you ever release your game with these assets (free or not) you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Models on FPS Banana each have their own license determining how you may use them. Most models are free to use in CSS (because most of the "skins" are built for CSS), but require permission to use in any other game or engine.

This is so larger companies can't simply use models in their own blockbuster games without paying for them. As an indie developer you should find that most people on FPSB will let you use their models for free, but it's still better to make sure first. If you email them, they may even send you the models in an easier format to convert like .max

As for creating GMF models, the best option is to buy something called "Unwrap 3D Pro". At $60 it sounds expensive but it imports (and exports) so many different formats, it's basically the only application you need to convert models from one format to another. It also exports Leadwerks GMF models with their animation intact.

UU3D can do Crysis models to, and almost everything else. I don't understand how Brad does it.

I don't see anything wrong with him playing around with Half-Life models. He paid for the game and should be able to play with the files as long as it stays on his own hard drive. Somebody from Valve or id said the same to me years ago, I forgot who it was.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Keeping it on his own hard drive is what I meant when I said:

That said, if you use these assets for personal testing only (ie, no one else has access), Valve are not likely to pursue legal action against you.

As for who said that to you, I would guess that it was probably id. It would go hand in hand with their stance on open source software.