Recommened max texture resolution for game character

Roland

Hi folks.

As some of you may have noted in my blog I have been struggling with creating my game character and finally have come up with something usable. Now, before making the final things I wonder if you guys have any thoughts about texture resolution on such a guy. Is 2048x2048 to much.

My game is not about speed. No running around shooting at crowds of people. Its more about walking around finding things and put them together. So I will not have a bunch of people on screen at the same time.

Om the other hand there will be some scenes with complicated architecture.

So what I essential need to know is how big textures can I use without killing the engine.

My target is modern graphics cards with 512 MB memory and 3.0 shader support.

AV MX Linux

Why not use the maximum size (4096x4096) and scale down later if and when you need to? Plus you can always change the texture resolution that LE will load from the mipmaps using the texture quality setting.

What a good idea. Did not even think of that mipmap thing.

Thanks

AV MX Linux

Saving your original out at 4K might be considered wise, Roland, but I'd be more apt to

be using main character textures at closer to 1K for body and *maybe* 1K for head. 2K if

you have a lot of close-up capability.

This will really depend on what your camera will be showing (and the dominant perspective

you intend to run throughout the game). Otherwise, you're wasting texture space on things

that, when seen in-game, won't support the higher resolution.

(I'm not stalking you, Roland...you just happened to ask questions I thought I could help

with today) :D

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | 320MB Nvidia 8800GTS

Saving your original out at 4K might be considered wise, Roland, but I'd be more apt to

be using main character textures at closer to 1K for body and *maybe* 1K for head. 2K if

you have a lot of close-up capability.

This will really depend on what your camera will be showing (and the dominant perspective

you intend to run throughout the game). Otherwise, you're wasting texture space on things

that, when seen in-game, won't support the higher resolution.

(I'm not stalking you, Roland...you just happened to ask questions I thought I could help

with today) :D

Stalking :D Oh no, I'm really thankful for every advice I can get.

I will try with separate textures for the head and body to see what happens.

Thanks a lot

AV MX Linux