Black light

Michael Betke

I want to do a black light (not the black disco light which is flourocent) but just black.

But if I use color 0,0,0 the light does nothing and I have just specularity.

I would like to use it for interiour tinting or for other areas like overhangs or areas beneth a bridge.

I also could use a ambient light but this has a global impact. I just want to darken areas with a black or dark grey light.

Maybe it's possible with a .lua or some other solution? :D

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Texture baked AO gives the best results, and in addition HDR also gives a similar effect.

You can keep ambient light pretty low, and it should change dynamically according to the daytime anyway, so that at midnight it's 0,0,0 and at highnoon it's around 0.1,0.1,0.11.

In daytime, when you have bright surfaces, like white house walls, you can add a point light to the wall to give a nice light bounce effect to the surrounding.

You can also color the vertices darker, like Dave did in this blog:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/blog/42/entry-309-the-zone-blog-07-milestones-and-vertex-colors/

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Michael: What about using negative values? Would it make a subtractive light?

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Just using a simple light with black value would be best because no additional work like baking or material setup would be needed.

The negative value is not possible because the entry field reverts to zero if I enter a negative value. B)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

I can see how cool it would be to have. I can't imagine anything more creepy than being in a room and having an area of darkness moving towards me.

Can't help but think it would need another post-processing buffer as lighting is blended one way (additive) and what you're wanting is subtractive. Like the Photoshop Burn tool.

I'd try the material option tonight if it wasn't so late. To try it only takes creating one material and then you control the size, area through the light setting. Might not work anyway due to way lights are rendered.

I remember using "Holograms" in Star Wars Galaxies to help decorate houses, they were the only items that reduced lighting levels in a room and created a mood. Had to hide them inside other objects. Then the devs changed the blend mode in a patch and ruined it all. They couldn't even get that right.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Just using a simple light with black value would be best because no additional work like baking or material setup would be needed.

The negative value is not possible because the entry field reverts to zero if I enter a negative value. :)

It is easy to change this in the script. But I'm not sure whether this gives the look you want:

post-150-002015500 1277554002_thumb.jpg