shadow quality

NarkLord

Just a question regarding shadows in leadwerks. They seem very grainy in the tunnels test demo, and others, especially around the edges.

Is this just how they are or am I missing something? Ive attached an image that shows what I'm talking about.

post-1227-12770006376696_thumb.jpg

Guest Red Ocktober

in the editor...

try the menu tools/options/shadowquality/high

or try doubleclicking on the light class

edit the following line self.light:SetShadowmapSize(512) changing the size to 1024, or 2048 (might be a lil too high), so that it reads

self.light:SetShadowmapSize(1024)...

run the script or save and reload scene...

hope this helps...

--Mike

Shadows can be controlled by several factors:

- a light's shadowmap resolution

- the global shadow quality setting

- the global shadowsoftness setting

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Ok I'll try to make some of those changes. Changing the quality of the shadows to high does not make much difference.

When I select disable the level looks much better and there's no graininess at all obviously because the shadows that are causing this aren't being rendered.

What type of shadows does that shadow quality setting refer to? because spotlights and that still render and they look perfect

EDIT: putting the shadow quality on low, makes a lower shadow quality however the graininess disappears.. on medium or High the graininess comes back, so I'll try and experiment.

EDIT2: Ive tried shadowmap resolution, this helps to a certain degree, there's a small amount of fuzziness on the edges, which isn't too bad.

The main problem can be seen in the attached picture. the grains that appear all over the walls when the texture quality is on medium or high. This doesn't happen on low or disabled.

post-1227-12770047953241_thumb.jpg

ok I'll try that. I'll just add that with the shadows quality disabled this shadow acne does not occur at all. and the scene looks fine. Moving objects don't cast shadows but the level does.

Is it strange that the same spot in a scene(with no moving objects to cast shadows) looks great with shadow quality disabled and gets the acne when shadow quality is on medium or high?

The attatched pic is the same area with shadow quality disabled

post-1227-12770087563021_thumb.jpg

Shadow quality is basically the amount of shadow blurring, so it can cause an increase in shadow acne.

The best thing to do is adjust your shadow offsets based on whether you think the light will be moving around or just sitting there, and how it is oriented to the room.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.