Pick Function Bug?

Shard

When using EntityPick, I've noticed that my game stalls for a few seconds and then continues to run as normal. This happens the first time a pick happens at a high poly surface or at least it seems like that.

At first I thought this was because of DOF, but I turned that off because it became a large enough problem. But now when our character shoots, it does a pick to see what it hit and it freezes up just the same.

I'm just checking to see if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it. If not, I'll create a basic program and upload to bug tracker.

simpleSigPNG.png

Programmer/Engineer/Student

www.reikumar.com

2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - Windows 7 64-bit - 4 Gigs RAM

C++ - Visual Studio Express - Dark GDK - Leadwerks SDK

there are alot of posts about this... and actually Josh created a model optimizer to help with this...

btw, why do you put all of your posts in GD? there are obviously better places for your programming/modeling questions... :blink:

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

there are alot of posts about this... and actually Josh created a model optimizer to help with this...

But it also happens with the terrain.

btw, why do you put all of your posts in GD? there are obviously better places for your programming/modeling questions... :blink:

Seemed appropriate in this case as this involves everyone, not just coders. I post in the C++ threads when its just about code and Editor when its just about Editor. There isn't an overall engine discussion thread except General Discussion which is the general discussion of the engine WerkSpace> Leadwerks Engine> General Discussion

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com

there is a general programming board... :blink:

Mind = blown;

and typically this only occurs on the first pick, so you could possibly make a small "hack" and perform a pick while the program is loading?

I suppose, but all the same, it is a bug that needs to be fixed, no?

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com

Mind = blown;

what youve never noticed this forum?

I suppose, but all the same, it is a bug that needs to be fixed, no?

possibly... but i do not know if Josh considers it a bug... his description of it basically is this is when the pick structure is first being created...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

what youve never noticed this forum?

Nope, I usually just click the C++ shortcut on the Werkspace page. Plus its a hidden from view unless I scroll down.

possibly... but i do not know if Josh considers it a bug... his description of it basically is this is when the pick structure is first being created...

Hrm, only in debug mode. I haven't tested this, but if thats the case then I can live with cause as long as Release works its all good.

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com

I tried it with the sample crawler model and now it does not appear anymore on the Model Viewer (I already posted a comment reporting it) but still visible when loaded by code, didn't tried on the Editor, really I didn't noticed any difference in the picking delay.

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

Still did it in Release Mode.

I tried it with the sample crawler model and now it does not appear anymore on the Model Viewer (I already posted a comment reporting it) but still visible when loaded by code, didn't tried on the Editor, really I didn't noticed any difference in the picking delay.

So... what do we do to fix the problem?

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com