Quick Question

Porsche

I've got an entire animated model ready to be exported from 3DS max. It's basically the hands/gun that will be displayed in the viewport during the game.

The entire animation includes two guns, an assault and sniper rifle which I modeled separately then imported into the hands/arms scene using the merge tool. The model can export fine with everything intact with just the assault rifle. When I include the sniper rifle in the selected objects to export, it errors out with: "There was an error."

I can't seem to find an error log - is there any sort of MaxScript Error log? If not, what are some of the causes of this error?

Thanks for your time,

Porsche

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

Are you exporting an FBX file, or are you using the 3ds max GMF exporter? You'll get more help if you post the file in question. The 3ds max GMF exporter is a third-party tool. The FBX to GMF converter is the official modeling pipeline we provide.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I am currently using the MaxScript that converts straight from 3DS to .GMF inside Max. Since I had already narrowed down the problem to the rifle, I took a closer look at it... I found one bad vertex, and it seems to be exporting fine now.

I had been building off of an an older version of the rifle I had modeled last year that wasn't made very carefully.

In any matter, I exported it using FBX to GMF conversion tool and nothing shows up in the Model Viewer.

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

You need a skin shader in LE's mat file if you have bones and animations in the model, else you won't see the mesh.

See the gun mat file of the SDK for an example.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■