Bad normals

graytest

I bought the Downtown pack from Dex-soft and am currently converting it to gmf using UU3D.

The conversion process is easy enough and the models look great except for some bad shadowing going on. Anyone now how to fix the seems using UU3D (all I have)?

normals.png

On some buildings I'm also getting problems with vertices showing up completely black. I trid flipping the normals in UU3D (and it looks good there) but I still get black vertices in the LE editor.

Any help is appreciated!

Windows 7 64-bit

nVidia 9800M GS

4 GB RAM

Intel Core 2Duo, P8600 @ 2.4GHz

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think this is the normals but it is your mehs that is wrong,can you show me you it in wireframe in your modelprogramma

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

Just right click on the word Perspective in the Perspective window and chose show - face normals. The normals should all be sticking out at right angles from the face. If not you probably have a normal problem.

I have complained to Dexsoft about this several times before and get very apologetic replies but they basically do nothing about it and continue to issue packs with these problems. To be honest ... they don't care! They are cheap and cheerful but suffer from bad quality control.

You can press S to go into select mode and select the problem faces, then chose Triangulate Faces from the 3D Tools menu to fix these.

Below is a typical example of a Dexsoft problem model:

post-51-12746351496092_thumb.png

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Meh, if they cant be bothered to fix it, dont buy the stuff XD, i wouldnt. Its not on when you pay :S.

Sketchup has this issue when importing into other engines though, so thanks for the tip! :)

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

Is it really a Dexsoft/model issue though? When I started last year looking at model import/export I tried a Dexsoft pack or two and UU3D and got similar results. Two different packs by different authors. I used the official exporter in 3DS MAX and all those problems went away. Everything I exported with UU3D was terrible.

But it doesn't stop there...take the two 3DSMax exporters..here is the same model side by side.

Arbuz's unoffical exporter on the left and the offical Leadwerks export on the right...(see image below)

Quite a difference there too. And that's trying to use matching settings (I'm having cockpit export issues and working out why I get different qualities and sizes using the different MAX exporters).

But UU3D always gave me problems, I stopped using it for anything other than quick placement. I think the GMF exporter it needs updating or something.

post-52-12746934499697_thumb.jpg

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Is it really a Dexsoft/model issue though? When I started last year looking at model import/export I tried a Dexsoft pack or two and UU3D and got similar results. Two different packs by different authors. I used the official exporter in 3DS MAX and all those problems went away. Everything I exported with UU3D was terrible.

It's not an inherent problem with the models more the conversions that they provide. In the packs that I've encountered problems with I have opened the various formats in multiple modelling apps and they all exhibit the same normal issues. Dexsoft actually replied to my initial complaint and agreed, having looked at the issues I presented, that something had gone wrong with their conversion process and promised me they would fix it after the new year. They never did and I have subsequently seen more issues like this.

I personally don't have any issues with exporting to gmf from UU3D, I've found it very reliable. Just don't use commands like 'Weld Model' on any complex model as that really screws the normals up (unless you're prepared to fix them afterwards).

But I, like you, have seen differences especially in the size between different gmf exporters for the same base model. But I've never seen differences like the one you've presented in your screen shot .. they are physically quite different .. whats going on there?

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Ah I see what you mean. It's not quite the same model, two compounds built the same way, different exporters.

I'd really like to know what the big size difference is about, there's a performance hit too, noticeable with a 30k poly cockpit.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo