Is 3DWS right for me

Paradise Games

4 members have voted

1. 1. Well, is it?

• Yes
    • No

Im working on an MMORPG game with a small team and we want to start putting our paper terrain idea into 3d. The game will be very large and have many textures/buildings and i was wondering how 3DWS would handle this? I want to be able to move around with the camera over the whole wold that has been made and make changes as i go if that makes sense. We are using the leadwerks engine as well.

I would use 3D World Studio to make individual buildings.

ok so i should make the terrain in the editor. as far as i can see, im limited to making a 1024x1024 terrain in the editor, so a whole continent would be much bigger than 1024x1024. also the grid moves with the camera and i would like it to be stay in place but be over the whole terrain for alignment purposes. So im not really sure what i need but 3dws may not be it. i may just see if i can work with a height map. thanks for the input.

You can make 4096x4096 terrains in Editor, and if you want bigger terrains, you shouldn't use heightmaps at all, but stream the whole universe with single models from a database.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

You can make 4096x4096 terrains in Editor, and if you want bigger terrains, you shouldn't use heightmaps at all, but stream the whole universe with single models from a database.

yes, this is what i was planning on doing that for characters and buildings but for the terrain i cant see the point.

Well I guess the point is that Leadwerks supports a maximum terrain size of 4096x4096 at whatever resolution. So if you want seamless terrains larger than that then you are on your own ... and the suggestion to model the terrain and stream that in makes sense!

Use 3DWS for CSG modelling only, the Leadwerks Editor replaces all it's remaining functionality and improves on it.

P.S. Do you have upwards of half a million dollars to fund making and putting something of this size online and maintaining it till you have sufficient customers? Please don't take this the wrong way but unless you have successfully done this before (which is unlikely from the questions you are asking) it sounds about as achievable as putting yourself on the moon! I'd suggest scaling down your ambitions to something more achievable in the short term.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Well I guess the point is that Leadwerks supports a maximum terrain size of 4096x4096 at whatever resolution. So if you want seamless terrains larger than that then you are on your own ... and the suggestion to model the terrain and stream that in makes sense!

Use 3DWS for CSG modelling only, the Leadwerks Editor replaces all it's remaining functionality and improves on it.

P.S. Do you have upwards of half a million dollars to fund making and putting something of this size online and maintaining it till you have sufficient customers? Please don't take this the wrong way but unless you have successfully done this before (which is unlikely from the questions you are asking) it sounds about as achievable as putting yourself on the moon! I'd suggest scaling down your ambitions to something more achievable in the short term.

No i don't have that kind of money and i have not done an mmorpg before but this is more of a hobby between a couple of friends rather than us wanting to make millions with it. we have time to work on it and it will take a while. I know the complexity involved here and its not going to be easy at all and its going to frustrating but that doesn't scare me. There will be lots of things ill find that i didnt expect so im just going to take it a step at a time.

It is possible to make zero budget MMORPG also, like EVE. It started with 0 content, and the players had to create all contents to the game.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I know the complexity involved here and its not going to be easy at all and its going to frustrating but that doesn't scare me. There will be lots of things ill find that i didnt expect so im just going to take it a step at a time.

Good luck to you then :)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

It is possible to make zero budget MMORPG also, like EVE. It started with 0 content, and the players had to create all contents to the game.

A quick bit of research on the Internet revealed the following about the creators of Eve Online:

CCP was founded in June 1997 by Reynir Harðarson, Thorolfur Beck and Ívar Kristjánsson[8] for the purpose of making MMORPGs. In order to finance the initial development of Eve Online; CCP developed and published a board game in Iceland called Hættuspil ("Danger Game").[8][9] In April 2000 the company, with Sigurður Arnljótsson as CEO, raised $2.6 million, through a closed offering organized by Kaupthing Bank (now Arion banki), from private investors in Iceland, including the Icelandic telephone company Siminn. Approximately half of the initial 21 staff were drawn from the Icelandic dot-com company OZ Interactive, the makers of OZ Virtual.

Subsequently Eve was released in 2003:

EVE Online is CCP's first video game, originally published by Simon & Schuster, Inc. in May 2003. Later CCP re-acquired the rights to publish Eve Online[10] after Simon & Schuster Interactive ceased trading. Development continues in a regular free expansion release schedule.

All quotes taken from the wikipedia link