Outdoor Brush Pack

mdgunn

outdoor_brush_pack.png.ff179594102724ed22058bc8ceaf0d35.png

Started some tests of low poly CSG brush assets for blocking out outdoor areas. It should be possible to make these better but the point isn't to use these as final assets so taking them too far is not the aim. These are entirely brush based so can be modified or added to without round tripping into other 3D software.  Hopefully this would allow anyone to  block out a simple outdoor level.  I think I will be able to upload to repo soon.  

WARNING: You may find using these early assets might lead to crashes.till I identify any problem brushes. I have found carving CSG brushes can sometimes lead to problems with the resulting brushes that can lead to crashes.  I think because if you scale it or modify it in some ways it gets re-evaluated and can encounter errors. 

The purpose of this work on this brush pack is is so we can move forwards getting some simple outdoor environment tests done with some mechanics in place though I would still develop the mechanics in isolation in a simple box plane level (1 flat ground cube, the player and your mechanic only).

I think it's turned out OK so far, though this would be just the start. Ultimately we probably WOULD export out from the CSG prefab, mod in blender, export FBX and import back to prefab which should then update any levels using the prefab. That's the theory, in practice you often find you broke the prefab link. But anyway as we should be aiming to keep things very simple then even rebuilding the level should not be unthinkable if the prefabs are good.

This is a kind of green forested/meadow area.  There would probably be others such as desert, mountain, ice.  Maybe....

• Like 1