Some Questions

Dealman

Hiya,

I've been looking around for some nice Engines and I found this and it looks pretty damn sweet. And the cost, $200 is by far acceptable. I'm a 3D Artist interested in doing something serious within Game Development.

I've been playing the old classic "BANDITS: Phoenix Rising" since I was a little kid, and I love it. I saw some video about this Engine with some kind of Buggy with some armament on. And it instantly reminded me of BANDITS. Looked a lot like it but of course with enhanced Graphics.

From what I've read about this Engine it should be The Engine to make a tribute to BANDITS.

So, I've got some questions about this Engine. And I'm no Programmer, so please, do not laugh at me... :blink:

• Would it be possible to make Customizeable Vehicles? By Customizeable I mean that you can have various configurations that you create whilst ingame (At some Menu for example). Where you may choose between Chassis, Weaponry and such. Also such as adding more torque and better handling on the Vehicle but with the loss of space for additional Weaponry or vice versa?

• Would the above be possible to do 'Realtime' in the Game if you're parked in some sort of 'special zone'? Such as some sort of Garage?

• If I were to make some basic Vehicular Demolition Derby (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch) how many players would the game be able to handle if played Online(Approximatley)?

• Would destructable objects be possible?

That's pretty much all I had in mind. I've downloaded the Evaluation Demo to play around a bit and see if it fits my needs. Which I bet it does.

Currently learning the basics of the Leadwerks Editor.

1.) Yes, you can make any kind of vehicle, although there are automated commands for creating car like vehicles (vehicles with 4 wheels).

2.) Yes, you can do most gamic logic with physics. You could have slots in the vehicle in which you can place weapons or driving boosters. So each slot can carry only 1 device at a time.

3.) It depends on what network engine you use, and how often you need to transmit data. With the built-in network engine you could probably have 64 players, unless you do it MMO or turn based style and transmit only queued commands over the network, then you could have thousands of players.

4.) Yes, you can slice existing objects with code, or make premodelled destructed models, or wait for a coming engine update which brings automatically destructable models.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

1.) Yes, you can make any kind of vehicle, although there are automated commands for creating car like vehicles (vehicles with 4 wheels).

2.) Yes, you can do most gamic logic with physics. You could have slots in the vehicle in which you can place weapons or driving boosters. So each slot can carry only 1 device at a time.

3.) It depends on what network engine you use, and how often you need to transmit data. With the built-in network engine you could probably have 64 players, unless you do it MMO or turn based style and transmit only queued commands over the network, then you could have thousands of players.

4.) Yes, you can slice existing objects with code, or make premodelled destructed models, or wait for a coming engine update which brings automatically destructable models.

Thanks for a fast and very detailed reply!

On the first question, does that include them being modifyable InGame? Like you could change Wheels, Engine, Weaponry, Chassis and whatnot?

Thank you for the help!

Yes, everything is dynamic and realtime in the engine. There's no precalculations of any kind happening, so you can also modify everything in realtime in the game.

Yes, everything is dynamic and realtime in the engine. There's no precalculations of any kind happening, so you can also modify everything in realtime in the game.

This Engine never cease to impress me. I remember I checked some Engine that were pretty similar bet were ten times more expensive.

I'll play around a bit with the "Editor" to get some basic knowledge. After that I'll try to get some stuff done to show before I try to find someone willing to spend some time on doing Programming.

Thanks yet again for the great answers! :blink:

I think lumooja might be giving you the impression that you might be able to do this right out of the box with leadwerks with something thats already built in to the engine. What you are asking to do is possible, but not without you programming it. Leadwerks does not have any inherent game mechanics or AI pathfinding or GUI... all of these things you will need to do yourself or perhaps teamup with someone else and have them program for you. Out of the box, you can make a nice scene that you can fly around inside the editor without programming, but that does not make a game... even though that seems to be where all the focus seems to be lately.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Of course, every game needs programming. The amount of programming you need is then again dependant on what standard libraries you use. For C++ there are thousands of standard libraries to choose from. No other language comes even close to that, so chosing another language needs you to do more coding.

Of course, every game needs programming. The amount of programming you need is then again dependant on what standard libraries you use. For C++ there are thousands of standard libraries to choose from. No other language comes even close to that, so chosing another language needs you to do more coding.

Well I'm not a complete retard at Game Development, but I'm a 3D Artist, I've got no skills whatsoever with Programming, I've made several models for mods in my life but the others made the Programming needed.

And finding someone willing to do some programming for ya is hard unless you've got nothing to show off with. :)