Adding new Light-type

Gandi

Hi!

I was thinkin about adding a new light type which also gets rendered in the render lights pass..

now my question: is that even possible, or do i have to do it like some kind of post-process effect??

i fear that it aint possible that easy, but it would really be better if i could use it as a light...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok thanks, so then I guess I am back to my original question, I have a florescent light model that I am using in a scene and want to illuminate the scene to simulate the florescent lights illumination, how would I do this, I have tried all light types and point light is the closest but creates a point of light rather than a light that covers the area of the tube?

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..

My first response would be, are you comparing this functionality to any other engine that has this, because in every engine I've used there isn't such a light. Normally the texture of your light would be bright white, then you put a point light in the middle, or you could put multiple point lights if you wanted to, but that would probably degrade the FPS in that area.

Sorry, this is what I have done so far, I created a model that has multiple florescent light tubes in a single line with a fixture between them, I then created a glow image and using the glow shader created the material to make the tubes appear to glow. Even though I do say it myself they look pretty cool, but now I want to light my scene using lights that will create the light and shadows similar to the light given my a florescent tube. So back to the question, point light is to issolated to a particular "point" (excuse the pun) the spot light is obviously not correct, direction light will not work becuase I need 360 degree emission of the light, and ambient will not work becuase of its ability to cast directional shadows...

So I am left with point light which gives me the correct shadows and light/darks areas, but I want the point light to be along the entire lenght of the tube evenly? I hope this makes some sort of sense... I need light glow on the ceiling and dispersed light below...

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..

er... do you not read the posts here? using a simple glow shader plus the change described here should work for what chiblue is attempting

Dangit, so now I have to piece together multiple posts to respond to one post. WTF. <_<

I don't read all the posts, just some.

It seemed like the suggestions that were given were still not giving what Chibule is after. I was just thinking maybe what he was after was something that wasn't really done in most engines to begin with.

[EDIT]

Just replied to the other thread after reading this one :)