Skybox

Quan

Here is a little video of the new Skybox inside a basic test app. Its no where near as cool as Eternal Crysis skybox but its a start.

Features a real time sun moving inside the skybox with the directional light matched to its movements. Also a cloud layer which can also move and change.

Also a few screenshots from a more advanced version running inside my game:

tmsbtests.jpg

Moon testing as well.

tmsbmoon.jpg

I am now working on a timing system to trigger transitions of the skybox texture for day/night and weather effects.

BMax 1.38 * Leadwerks 2.4 * Unity 3.0 Pro * Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 - Win7 64bit - ATI 4870

here is an idea to enhance that pic of the moon....the moons color is a bright orange and yellow tint. Throw an ambient light in the scene with a hue that is in between those colors and turn its intensity way down. It will look awsome...

Working on a major RPG project.......will showcase soon.

www.kevintillman1.wix.com/tillmansart

Thanks for the reply's, once I get a few more things working I'll post up a new video with it working inside the game. At the moment you can still see the edges of the background skybox if you look up too high.

here is an idea to enhance that pic of the moon....the moons color is a bright orange and yellow tint. Throw an ambient light in the scene with a hue that is in between those colors and turn its intensity way down. It will look awsome...

I'll give that a go and see what it looks like.

I have been playing around with really dark nights and trying to work it into the game play but I like the idea of the moon illuminating the landscape. It will give the whole scene a surreal look.

Btw some more background on the game. Its a fantasy game not set on earth and in fact the moon isn't a moon. The world the game is set on is a moon and it orbits a hot dead world which happens to look like mars at the moment :)

BMax 1.38 * Leadwerks 2.4 * Unity 3.0 Pro * Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 - Win7 64bit - ATI 4870

Btw some more background on the game. Its a fantasy game not set on earth and in fact the moon isn't a moon. The world the game is set on is a moon and it orbits a hot dead world which happens to look like mars at the moment

Thats an awsome setting for a game dude. I really want to see more of your game, please tell me its a fantasy RPG... :)

Yep its a fantasy RPG. 7 years ago it started off as a original fantasy world built as a server module for Neverwinter Nights. Since my server shut down I had been looking for ways to move the world I had created onto a new platform. I tried Neverwinter Nights 2 but just didn't like the massive bloat that game had. I also toyed with the idea of making the world in Oblivion but the tool-set stability got to me in the end.

When I got Leadwerks earlier this year it was to build a tactical space combat game but as I started to play with Leadwerks I quickly changed plans to rebuilding my Neverwinter Module as a stand alone singleplayer game. I could finally build the world in a way that it was meant to be explored. If you haven't player Neverwinter it has very small maps. I spent a lot of time making sure these maps flowed on from each other but it still meant you couldn't stand on a hillside and see the vista. Currently I have a draft version of the entire first part of the Neverwinter Module as a single map in leadwerks.

The story which I don't want to go into to much here is about racism against non-humans, betrayal of a king, and a prophecy that tells of lurking doom that is about to return. Typical standard fantasy stuff, I don't even pretend to be a good writer but the feedback from my sever was good.

Gameplay will be action / adventure based it will be very open but with a story arcs laid out as the main quest. Sort of like how Fallout 3 / Oblivion worked, you can explore at any time then return to the main quest.

The story / flow and quests are all planned out from the module its now just a mater of building the game and building brand new assets. As I would like to publish my game I am making everything from scratch.

Things are still in the very early stages and I have become a bit obsessed with the day night cycle but progression is going well.

Dude I cannot wait to see, I am very interested based off of what you have said. Plus I am the biggest Fallout 3 fan...please keep the forums updated because I am interested.

• 3 months later...

I am still tinkering away on this, its my procrastination tool when I ever I think of doing something useful for my game ( e.g modeling a main character ).

Also a few screen shots of the cloud dome. The clouds slowly move across the sky.

lwskydome.jpg

lwskydome02.jpg

I am still working on a good system for changing the sky/cloud/fog/light colour depending on the time of day.

I can already see Link riding his horse in the fields, this scene you have here is absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to see gameplay of this. Do you have a map of the gameworld yet?

LINK !, Link is a pointy eared elf freak, there are ( no longer ) any pointy eared elf freaks in my game :huh: My years of playing WoW has caused a unhealthy reaction to elves ( Night or Blood ).

I don't have my entire world mapped out just the area's which I created for my Neverwinter module like:

tmnwn2.jpg

I did start using Age of Wonders editor to create a map of the world which is what my leadwerks map is based off:

ageofwondersmanor.jpg

haha yea i hear you bro, that first pic you have looks really good, the layout of cliffs and stuff you have there, amazing stuff man. Im dying to know all the details about your game and see some gameplay, if you need my help on anything let me know. I love projects like these.